WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #11
Que

Que .22
Sponsored Links
Another negative with the TP-9 is that if you want a suppressor you are most likely going to be stuck buying the B&T one that I've heard is priced at $1100. Further, a friend of mine who is in the suppressor business indicates that it's going to be necessary to custom fit the gun with a suppressor. Also, if I understood him right, he wasn't exactly thrilled with the way that the proprietary one fits with a flared barrel and resulting expansion chamber. As I'm not really a suppressor guy this isn't an issue for me.

This was the same guy who has shot the TP-9 extensively and finds the gun to be a great platform to do a lot of different things. I think MGMike is right, as a handgun shot in a traditional manner it isn't going to be what someone would want, but as part of a weapons system where it can go from a handgun to a submachine gun style carbine with some quick modifications (folding stock, foregrip) and Form 1 AOW registration, it has great potential.

Q
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
Que

Que .22
On a final note, I went back to the shop and took another look at the TP-9. What MGMike was saying about the predecessor gun's trigger (the SPP) wasn't jibbing with my impression of the trigger at all. In range reports of the TP-9 folks were describing the trigger as "Glock-like" and not at all as was being described. Today I spent a good amount of time at the shop dry firing the gun and it is indeed more "Glock-like" than not. There is the initial take-up, not a lot of it, and then a decent clean break at what I would guess to be at around six pounds, if not a little less. It certainly isn't the 9.6 of the SPP and as Guns & Ammo reported. I also noticed that the thread protector is different on the current guns than DSA and B&T's initial ad copy and in the G&A review, so I called DSA to get down to the bottom of the discrepancies.

After an intial conversation with the pleasant young lady who answered the phone I was put through to the man with the answers. It seems that the guns at the SHOT Show were very early production guns that had yet to see many of the improvements that B&T brought to the gun. The tipoff is the early two-ribbed thread protector as opposed to the current one with a single diamond cut textured band. These same early SHOT Show guns were the same ones that were sent to the gun writers including G&A. Their guns are not representative of the current production guns being sold. They are consistent with the SPP that MGMike has described. At the same time they were getting complaints/comments about the TP-9's lousy SPP trigger so B&T re-worked the trigger to where it is now. The DSA Arms guy told me that the changes to the trigger were extensive. They also changed the thread protector during this period as well.

So, the gun shown at SHOT and reviewed by gun reviewers is not at all representive in terms of trigger pull, and, the varying accounts of the trigger quality are due to the early production SPP-like guns having been improved greatly for production. While it seems not at all bright for the SHOT show guns to have been sent to reviewers, this might have happened before DSA knew that the improvements were going to be made. That's unfortunate as the misunderstanding will cause confusion and harm to sales. Of course the gun is still a very large one, but I find the balance and weight to be quite acceptable especially for a gun that holds such potential versatility.

Q

Last edited by Que; 11-16-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #13
Que

Que .22
Sorry, forgot the obligatory photos. Note that the gun now has a Glock style trigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tp-9.jpg (41.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
Que

Que .22
By the way, for the record, I was laughing like a madman as I was putting all of that bling on the gun. Sorta silly.

Q
Old 11-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
By the way, for the record, I was laughing like a madman as I was putting all of that bling on the gun. Sorta silly.

Q
It looks like it now is set up for an attached side-folding stock, rather than the SPP's detachable auxillary stock-- definitely an improvement. Also it does indeed appear that that goofy bi-directional trigger has been eliminated.

But what is "bling"?

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #16
Que

Que .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
It looks like it now is set up for an attached side-folding stock, rather than the SPP's detachable auxillary stock-- definitely an improvement. Also it does indeed appear that that goofy bi-directional trigger has been eliminated.

But what is "bling"?

M
Yup, the fittings for the stock are there, but I suspect that it will be more than a quick attachment. No matter, once the stock is on I think that it will probably be staying on.

Bling? As in all of the flashy jewlery that some rap stars wear. I'm referring to all of the add-on stuff that I would never shoot the gun with as a pistol. I own an HK light and a Glock light (gifts) and I have never used one to shoot with. The knockoff Aimpoint is occasionally used on my AR and a few other rifles and carbines and would not be what I'd use for the TP. The new Aimpoint Micro T-1 would be my choice, or an Eotech. I'm not really a tactical kind of guy so this gun is something new for me. I shoot my battle rifles mostly stock, and pistols iron sight, so all of the add-ons are kind of fun with this one.

As to the trigger, the DS Arms rep said that the SPP trigger got a lot of complaints so it was one of the major improvements. It was a big issue. I'm still a little confused as the SHOT guns and the G&A guns appear to have the new trigger, but all that matters is that I find it (at this point without having shot the gun) to be acceptable.

By the way, thanks for raising your concerns regarding about the SPP. It got me to look into this gun more closely than I might have, and I think I made a better informed choice for it. That's the most that I've ever paid for a gun (edged out my PTR91K by a nose) and probably will be until I someday find the right HK P9S in .45, so all of the info was useful and appreciated.

Q
Old 11-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #17
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
If you find a P9S .45ACP at a reasonable price, don't buy it unless you also have a good supply of magazines; they don't last long before the lips spread.

M
Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 AM   #18
Que

Que .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
If you find a P9S .45ACP at a reasonable price, don't buy it unless you also have a good supply of magazines; they don't last long before the lips spread.

M
Is that the case with the 9mm? If the 9mm doesn't have that issue I may well go with the 9mm again. I shot a 9mm for years without a problem.

This is the one gun that I've sold that I haven't replaced yet. As time goes on it seems less important to do so despite the fact that for years it was by far my favorite gun. I think that recently adding a P7 PSP took the edge off of not having one, and that the reality of having one again may not live up to the memory of having had one.

Q
Old 11-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #19
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
AFAIK, only the .45 ACP mags have a congenitally short life.

M

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page
brugger & thomet tp9

brugger & thomet tp9 in .45

brugger & thomet tp9 review

brugger & thormet tp-9 pistol
brugger and thomet tp9 review
brugger thomet tp9
brugger tp9

steyr spp review

tp-9 review
tp9 pistol review

tp9 review

tp9 vs sp89
Click on a term to search for related topics.