Latest additions to the C&R logbook - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

GonzoGeezer .22
Latest additions to the C&R logbook

I recently added two non-Walther items to my collection of senior citizens.

Swiss Repeating Carbine, Model of 1911, aka K11. Manufactured in 1923.

Savage Model 1917-22, .32ACP. Estimated date of manufacture is 1924; Savage lumps all 1922-26 production into one serial number range because so few were made in the final years.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

Redcat94 .22
That's a great looking Savage. I have a 1907 myself. They are fun little pistols to shoot. How does the barrel look ? Mine looks line a sewer pipe but is still very accurate.
ronin11 likes this.
Redcat94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

GeoNole94 .22
Nice K11, Lee, keep them coming!

Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
Awesome, Geezer! I remember folks talking about that Swiss rifle some years ago... doesn't it have a cool rotating bolt or something? I'd thought the ring-like bolt handle would get in the way or risk poking the shooter in the face but I guess not.

Getting my C&R license was one of the best things I've ever done, especially here in Massachusetts with the oppressive "approved firearm" roster to which so many manufacturers are unwilling to submit (even the latest generation of Glocks are not on "the list"). So long as it's more than fifty years old I'm able to buy anything the ATF says is OK, and believe me there are PLENTY of things were made before 1966 that are just as cool as anything made today - most are even better.

I think a Tokarev is gonna be the next entry in my C&R logbook, right after my "new" Modell 9 gets here!

-Pilotsteve
halfmoonclip likes this.
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #5

jujonte .22
Two very nice additions. Congrats. ~J
jujonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

GeoNole94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotsteve View Post
Getting my C&R license was one of the best things I've ever done, especially here in Massachusetts with the oppressive "approved firearm" roster to which so many manufacturers are unwilling to submit (even the latest generation of Glocks are not on "the list"). So long as it's more than fifty years old I'm able to buy anything the ATF says is OK, and believe me there are PLENTY of things were made before 1966 that are just as cool as anything made today - most are even better.
Yes, the C&R will pay for itself by your second purchase, depending on your local FFL's transfer fees. Note that all Manurhin PP are C&R eligible, regardless of age or caliber. Too bad that not all sellers will accept a C&R, the application and background vetting process is equivalent to getting the 01 FFL. It can also save you some money on the sell side, just don't get carried away or you might get an unpleasant visit from the ATF.
halfmoonclip and GonzoGeezer like this.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #7

GonzoGeezer .22
Latest additions to the C&R logbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotsteve View Post
Awesome, Geezer! I remember folks talking about that Swiss rifle some years ago... doesn't it have a cool rotating bolt or something? I'd thought the ring-like bolt handle would get in the way or risk poking the shooter in the face but I guess not.

I think a Tokarev is gonna be the next entry in my C&R logbook, right after my "new" Modell 9 gets here!

-Pilotsteve

Here are the components of the Schmidt design as used in the Model 1911 rifle and carbine. Unlike the Steyr straight-pull bolt action, the Schmidt bolt doesn't rotate, rather a sleeve (the firing pin is pointing to it) around the bolt (top of image) rotates, and the locking lugs are on it.

For Tokarevs I'd suggest looking for a Yugo M57 variant. The kludge that is the mandated import safety is slightly less kludgey than what they did with the Romanian and Polish versions.

Last edited by GonzoGeezer; 07-10-2016 at 06:30 PM.
GonzoGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
Yes, the C&R will pay for itself by your second purchase, depending on your local FFL's transfer fees...
There are no local FFL fees for a C&R purchase, so you're right about saving money there. Most local guys will charge about $25 to use their FFL, but since Massachusetts is so restrictive it's a moot point most of the time unless things happen to be on "the list".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
...It can also save you some money on the sell side, just don't get carried away or you might get an unpleasant visit from the ATF.
As a general rule, C&R licensees are not supposed to be selling their acquisitions. I never will, and if I had to out of some unforeseen catastrophe I'm pretty sure all of my guns would be getting sold all at once. No - don't be messing with the bull or kicking the ATF's hornet's nest with sales - C&R's are supposed to be for the betterment of one's personal collection.

-Pilotsteve
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

GonzoGeezer .22
Pilotsteve:

You may sell pieces from your collection. But if it reaches a point where the ATF looks on it as a business then you'll be in trouble.
halfmoonclip likes this.

Last edited by searcher451; 07-10-2016 at 09:36 PM. Reason: bandwidth
GonzoGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #10

GeoNole94 .22
Steve, you cannot buy and sell as a 'business' enterprise using a C&R, but you certainly can sell from your C&R collection. It is both legal and logical, especially if you are trying to improve on the quality of your collection. I try to hold a gun at least a year if I buy it with a C&R before selling just to avoid an appearance of misuse. Meanwhile, there are several people I know of who sell a LOT of guns who clearly are doing it as a 'business' yet do not have a FFL.
halfmoonclip and Pilotsteve like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time