Votes: 2 4.3%
  • .357 Magnum

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 6.4%

What is your carry caliber?

4K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  Jay90g60 
#1 · (Edited)
What cartridge do you most often use in your carry weapon?

I often carry two guns, but I primarily carry a 9 mm compact double stack P99AS.

My son usually carries a .45acp single stack, along with a .38 special BUG, but always has the .38 special at the very least.

Since this is a Walther forum, I was curious about what the answers will be: I'm assuming 9 mm will win.

#3 ·
You didn't specify season, so my answer would have to fall with my primary carry piece — 9mm P99c AS. If it were a season-specific poll .380 ACP (PPK/S) and perhaps even .32 ACP (PPK) would have found there way onto the list.

#7 ·
I almost always carry more than one gun and often times three. The main caliber is usually 9mm or .45 acp. BUG' caliber just depends on what I am going with at that time.

#8 ·
9mm, because you really do not need more unless you live in the Alaskan wilderness.

#11 ·
H&K USP compact .357 SIG

#13 ·
"But can you drive a 6" spike through a board with your penis? A Girl has to have her standards." Susan - "Real Genius"

#17 · (Edited)
9mm 147gr +p for winter, when it warms up I'll drop down to 124gr +p.

This is in a PPQ and a PPS. I too sometimes carry both guns.

Though I've never been attacked by a block of wood, I have been assaulted a time or 11 by some spiny examples of the Gleditsia triacanthos.

But I was in it's territory, so it's my fault. Wait...they were the trespassers, never mind.

(Maybe the preferred deterrent here would be my Stihl MS310?) ;)

#19 ·
...Sounds like your Home Depots are a lot more dangerous than mine.

...I've never been attacked by a block of wood.
You two are silly! I guess what I meant to say was that I "tested" the potency of the cartridge at the range one day by firing a regular 90 grain range ball round into a block of 4" pressure treated ash. Not only did it penetrate, but it also split the block lengthwise with the grain! Actually, I have it on video somewhere... on my other computer I think. It was pretty cool, and suffices to silence the yaps of those who feel 9mm kurz is somehow ineffective.

But can you drive a 6" spike through a board...
Ya know, if I got to hang out with Kelly LeBrock for any length of time... probably! For science, of course.

-Pilotsteve

#23 ·
This is actually a rather interesting thread, with a poll that is beginning to deliver unexpected data. Let's make sure we don't turn it into a pointless caliber war (which I can just feel is eminent).

I'd have thought more folks would be carrying .40 S&W, but it looks like 9mm is pulling away from the pack.

-Pilotsteve

#25 ·
I'll add my two cents for what it is worth...

Most of the time when I carry it's a Ruger .380 LCP. On occasion I'll wear a Glock 27 - which is a .40 caliber. I would rather carry the 27, but it's a pretty big pistol and requires a holster. The LCP fits in my pants pocket.

I recently was able to get a Glock 42 - another 380. After I've checked it out I will try carrying it. I am pretty happy with the LCP, but the lack of decent sights and the tiny handle worry me a little. I hoping the slightly larger Glock 42 will improve that situation without an inconvenient increase in bulk.

#26 ·
9mm winning is almost a given. It still remains the most carried of the major calibers.

PS: 9mm is the best/only round to carry. Why would anybody carry anything else?.......................LOL (caliber war!)

#27 ·
9mm is probably the cheapest of all the ammo listed in the poll. And 9mm is more than adequate for human targets. So, it's a simply answer. Personally, I have more 9mm ammo in my inventory than any other caliber. In addition to 9mm, I also have .40 S&W and 45 ACP which I also carry frequently and then there's the .357 Sig and the 10mm. I bought the 10 to punch thru car doors and still have enough energy left to take care of business.

#30 ·
SW99 is a POS gun and does dishonor to the P99 name. I had one, had to send it to S&W as they short chambered the barrel. Never seemed to be as good as my Walther was either. Besides, the .45 ACP is obsolete for carry with modern defense ammo, 9mm will do just as good a job. The main thing is bullet placement, not size anymore.

Reactions: Pilotsteve
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.