WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Richarddbeck .22
Is a 3.5 pound trigger too light for a concealed carry gun

Sponsored Links
So I did a video review of my new smith and wesson shield and got into a big discussion about how heavy a trigger should be on a "carry" gun. Now I know most of the people on YouTube are protectionist who are terrified of guns so I figured I would get your guys opinions.

I've got my Walther P22 down to just over 3 pounds but it's not a carry gun. Nobody seemed to have a problem with that. It was only when I said my carry gun had a 3.5 pound trigger did people flip out.

My ability to clearly explain myself is much easier done with a video so I'll post that at the bottom. Am I out to lunch? Have any of you done trigger jobs on your carry weapons?

Last edited by Richarddbeck; 05-19-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Richarddbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #2

RogueTS1 .22
Most people will say that 3.5 lbs for a defensive carry pistol is a bit light. This being so because when under stress, due to reflexes and autonomic function, one is a bit more likely to have an accidental discharge with such a light trigger pull and may end up shooting somebody unintentionally.

I say to each their own. If one is confident they can manage a 3.5 lb trigger pull during a life and death situation then feel free to do so but 3.5 lbs is not much of a trigger pull.
RogueTS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #3

Fuego .22
3.5 lbs for a trigger pull with no manual safety is an idiot's delight.

Make sure you have a lawyer and an ER on speed dial.
Fuego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #4

Boogs .22
Can't watch the video at the moment..

Not sure a heavy trigger would be effective, nor would a light one. 12lb DAO? 3.5 SAO? Ehhh.... Both would carry a different set of concerns.

Never had to draw on someone and fire/not fire, thankfully, so my input is about useless
Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #5

chuckles .22
On the contrary about most people on Youtube, I think most of them are very pro-gun and could actually benefit from a little more "respect" for guns, not actual fear of guns. Some people posting videos seem a bit "casual" in the way they handle guns. In regard to your question on trigger pull, to me, 4.5 to 5 lbs feels right. 3.5 seems a bit light. JMHO and as usual YMMV.
chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #6

Richarddbeck .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles View Post
On the contrary about most people on Youtube, I think most of them are very pro-gun and could actually benefit from a little more "respect" for guns, not actual fear of guns. Some people posting videos seem a bit "casual" in the way they handle guns. In regard to your question on trigger pull, to me, 4.5 to 5 lbs feels right. 3.5 seems a bit light. JMHO and as usual YMMV.
I think a lot of people are really comfortable with 4.5 to 5 because most of their guns have 4.5 to 5 pound triggers and it just feels the most natural. I guess maybe that's why I like the 3.5 pound trigger. I did a trigger job on my Walther P22Q and got it's trigger down to 3.5 pounds then shot a couple thousand round with it. Now I don't shoot very well with anything over 3.5 to 4. Maybe that would be considered a training scar. I guess I'll have to live with it.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #7

eveled .22
Too light.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #8

RickJZ Unproven
To each their own. IMHO, one has to go with what works for them. There is no one size fits all answer. The important variables are good trigger discipline, plenty of training, and a decent holster.
RickJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #9

1917-1911M .38
I don't think any service firearms are below 4 lbs and most a bit higher from what I read. Lower weights are for target shooters and not everyday carry. I had a smith lower the trigger pull to 4.4 lb several years ago. A recent check shows it at 6 lb. I'm doing my own work next. Reading a very interesting thread regarding sear work by a bunch of smiths. These guys are moving from square sear face with 45 degree escape to a true radius sear face that rolls smoothly on 1911s. Some pulls are down to 2 lb and pass all safety critieria.....still, 2 lb is two pounds. Better not have gloves on, cold finger or be in too much of a hurry while the perp is shooting at you with a trigger that light. Careful target shooting with no more than timed shooting isn't the same stress as a bad guy shooting at you. I think I would stay over 4 lb with a carry. M1911
imaoldfart likes this.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
What I haven't seen in this thread is any explanation of the mode in which the gun would be carried and how a first shot would be fired. I don't know anything about the design or construction of the S&W Shield, which may have a bearing on its safety.

However, as a general proposition: when the trigger pull is made lighter, the risk increases that the hammer or striker may jar off from an impact of some sort, sometimes aided by inertia of the trigger parts. Even if the pistol has a passive firing pin block, the risk is when the slide slams shut. If a jar-off happens after the first shot while your finger is still on the trigger, the pistol can easily go full auto. If you're not expecting it, you'll find yourself in a smoky, polka-dot room.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 05-20-2013 at 11:44 AM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page

3.5 lb trigger too light? xdtalk

3.5 trigger glock el paso tx

3.5 trigger pull for conceal and carry safe

how light a trigger for carry gun

is 2 and a half pound trigger too light for concealed carry

is 3.5 # trigger pull too little

is 3.5 lbs trigger safe for carrying with one in chamber

is a 3.5lb trigger too light

is a four pound trigger pull too light

minimum handgun trigger pull illinois

tube right trigger pull for a carry gun

walther p22 carry gun

Click on a term to search for related topics.