Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Que

Que .22
GSG STG 44

Sponsored Links

A few months back I made a fun purchase, a purely impulse buy. It is the STG 44 made by German Sport Guns (GSG) and sold by ATI. It is a .22 LR caliber rifle. Having spent some time with the real McCoy I can say that it has the heft and feel of the real thing. Construction is all metal and wood. The mags are plastic but quite well built and hold 25 (lesser capacities are available). The look of the rifle is a pretty doggone good replica of the real Sturmgewehr MP44. Function has been 100% reliable after a few malfunctions with the first mag fired through it. Ammo so far has been 36 gr. Federal copper washed. Accuracy at 30 yards was quite good with the iron sights. One negative is that the rear sight has to be ramped up pretty high to get to POA. The first time I brought this gun to the outdoor range it attracted a crowd with folks having their photographs taken holding it. Kinda funny. One guy next to me shot it and was shooting at closer to 40 yards and his groups were really tight for iron sights and fairly rapid fire. It is super smooth firing as you might expect with it’s nearly ten pound weight. I can shoot it all day long for pennies on the dollar.

This was definitely an impulse buy. I saw it sitting in a local shop in its wood case (a real cool aspect of the whole package) and couldn't help but come back for it the next day. I had no idea how difficult these things had been to get. I paid retail which was $549. I know that is a lot to pay for a .22, but even decent non-firing replicas of the STG 44 go for in the three hundreds. Mags for the rifle have been scarce and are now going for far more than retail which is just shy of $40. Luckily I was able to score three extra mags at retail before the panic buying started. Prices for the rifle have skyrocketed with prices all over the place.

A really fun aspect of the STG 44 is how it can be used to demonstrate the nonsense of all of the talk about “assault weapons”. The STG 44 (MP44) is the great grandady of all true assault rifles. It has most all of the evil features and then some. It looks even more “evil” than an AK 47. The thing is that it doesn’t do anything more or less than my Ruger 10/22 rifle with a BX25 magazine.

An MP 40 will be next for GSG.

Last edited by searcher451; 01-19-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: font
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #2

metrotps .22
Thanks for the report. I just bought one last weekend for $599.99 + tax. Mine is still in the wood box as I've been working overtime all last week. Hope to shoot it Sunday.
metrotps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Que

Que .22
Get ready for a big grin.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Supporting Member

BornFighting88 .22
I wouldn't mind looking into one of the MP40's alter on down the road.

Thanks for this post. Nice looking Sturmgewehr. Enjoy it.
BornFighting88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
Que

Que .22
I think the MP40 might come in two versions, one sold as a pistol with the stock permanently closed and with the stock permanently open. A definite buy for me either way. As a kid back in the 70's I had a replica "Schmeisser" that was downright accurate.

Speaking of Schmeisser, most are probably aware that the MP40 commonly called the Schmeisser wasn't really a design of Hugo Schmeisser. The mags were stamped "Schmeisser" and GIs picked up on it. Schmeisser (Haenel I assume) was just a contractor. On the other hand, the Sturmgewehr was a Schmeisser design. The GSG STG 44 has Schmeisser prominently on the side of the receiver.

Btw, for mags check out Grabagun.com. They go in and out of stock so you have to watch. I paid $44 for mine with free shipping so that was equal or a bit better than retail. Prices seem to fluctuate even when they are out of stock.

Also, the claw scope mounts that work with the HK 91 will work on he STG 44. I hadn't heard of an historic precedent for scoped STG but the other day I saw an example of a scoped STG on a special on secret weapons of the Third Reich.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Supporting Member

BornFighting88 .22
There was a claw-style scope mount that went on the STG 44. It allowed a rig to be mounted onto the side of the receiver, and the riser put the scope right above the receiver. Really neat design. I believe it was essentially a predecessor the the Quick-Detach you see on Picatinny Rails.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #7

metrotps .22
"Btw, for mags check out Grabagun.com."

Thanks for the tip.
metrotps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Supporting Member

BornFighting88 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
I think the MP40 might come in two versions, one sold as a pistol with the stock permanently closed and with the stock permanently open. A definite buy for me either way. As a kid back in the 70's I had a replica "Schmeisser" that was downright accurate.

Speaking of Schmeisser, most are probably aware that the MP40 commonly called the Schmeisser wasn't really a design of Hugo Schmeisser. The mags were stamped "Schmeisser" and GIs picked up on it. Schmeisser (Haenel I assume) was just a contractor. On the other hand, the Sturmgewehr was a Schmeisser design. The GSG STG 44 has Schmeisser prominently on the side of the receiver.

Btw, for mags check out Grabagun.com. They go in and out of stock so you have to watch. I paid $44 for mine with free shipping so that was equal or a bit better than retail. Prices seem to fluctuate even when they are out of stock.

Also, the claw scope mounts that work with the HK 91 will work on he STG 44. I hadn't heard of an historic precedent for scoped STG but the other day I saw an example of a scoped STG on a special on secret weapons of the Third Reich.
If you see or hear any more on the MP 40, please do be sure to post again, or let us know somehow. Looking forward to seeing that.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Que

Que .22
Just a quick note for any STG 44 owners or prospective owners. Mags are currently in stock at Grabagun.com. They are priced at over retail but not horribly so and a lot less than I have seen them on gunbroker. If there are any left when the sun rises I might grab another.

Last edited by Que; 02-19-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Que

Que .22
Okay , there is now one less. ;-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page

ati stg 44 scope mount

gsg stg 44

gsg stg 44 scope mount

gsg stg-44 case
gsg stg-44 scope mount

gsg stg44

gsg stg44 scope mount
new stg 44 scope mount
stg 44
stg 44 22 scope mount
stg 44 replica
stg 44 scope mount
Click on a term to search for related topics.