WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Deputy .22
Finnish Puukko knife

Sponsored Links
I was watching a movie about the Finns and the Winter War where they were discussing what they used in combat. Ammunition was always in short supply during the Winter War, so they had to make due with alternatives. One of them was the Puukko Knife. It immediately caught my eye. Amazon has one and I may grab it.

Amazon.com: Traditional Finnish Camping Puukko Knife: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Traditional Finnish Camping Puukko Knife: Sports & Outdoors

Supposed to be VERY sharp and made for heavy duty use. Anyone else know about this type of knife?

Last edited by Deputy; 11-30-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #2

Rothenfluh .22
I have one and they are awesome.

Try here:

Kellam Knives Worldwide, Inc. - Finnish Puukko Knives and Products

It's where I got mine.

R
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
The are very sharp and gave the Russians sleepless nights.
Andyd_is_PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #4

Deputy .22
In the documentary video "Fire and Ice: The Winter War" they talk about alternative weapons used by the Finns. An older lady holding a Puukko knife is interviewed. She said that the Finns had limited ammo so they made great use of the Puukko knife for close-in fighting. She said something to the effect "it is very sharp and I don't think it would feel good if they slipped it between your ribs". I nearly sprayed out the soda I was drinking when I heard that. Weird to hear an older lady speak that way. I guess the hatred is still there for the Russkies.

I think I will probably go with the knife I posted in the first post. it looks EXACTLY like the one in the movie. And it has a birch handle so it will match my M39. They must have a LOT of birch trees in Finland.
Here is more details on it:

Handle is traditionally shaped waxed Arctic Birch! This is the ULTIMATE everyday utility knife! Razor sharp and meant for heavy use!

Lapin Puukko was founded near Arctic Circle in 1974 as a "one man company" by Esa Silvola. Today Lapin Puukko employs five knife makers and all the knives and sheaths are still handmade with the utmost excellence and craftsmanship.
Due to the lightly oiled finish and the nature of the Arctic Birch these knife handles have a warm, comfortable and firm feel. Each individual knife has a molded, hand fit leather sheath, precisely made for the exact knife. These knives are razor sharp, have long edge retention and are easy to sharpen. They are comfortable, light weight and durable. The Puukko is an excellent tool that will last for decades. They can be rugged working knives or exquisitely fine-looking collector items, even both at the same time!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #5

eveled .22
I like simple working knives, as long as they hold an edge. It reminds me alot of an Opinel knife.
Amazon Amazon
But you can buy 5 opinels for the Puukko and I know the Opinel holds an edge. I understand the historical significance and why you want to own one, but that is alot of money for a no frills working knife. IMHO. By the way if anybody wants a very high quality locking folding knife for cheap money you can't beat the Opinel folding knives, simplicity at its best.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by eveled; 12-01-2012 at 08:13 PM.
eveled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #6

Deputy .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveled View Post
I like simple working knives, as long as they hold an edge. It reminds me alot of an Opinel knife.Amazon.com: Mora Classic Number 2.: Sports & Outdoors But you can buy 5 opinels for the Puukko and I know the Opinel holds an edge. I understand the historical significance and why you want to own one, but that is alot of money for a no frills working knife. IMHO. By the way if anybody wants a very high quality locking folding knife for cheap money you can't beat the Opinel folding knives, simplicity at its best. Amazon.com: Opinel - Carbon Steel Traditional Knife: Sports & Outdoors
Yep, you're right about it being a lot of samolies for a knife. I am also concerned about the construction of the knife. I am a big fan of full tang knives where the blade size goes all the way to the back of the knife and the grips sandwich the back of the knife. This appears to not be full tang and the part behind the blade gets smaller as it is enclosed by the handle.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #7

Deputy .22
Just an update on my knife situation. I ended up ordering TWO Puukko knives. First one is a Lapin Puukko Hunter:

Here are the specs on the above knife:

NEW Lappin Puukko Hunter. Hand made in Finland
One of the hardest steeled knives we sell, superb hunting knife from Finland
Blade length 95 mm (3.8").
New carbon steel blade has been induction-tempered for extremely demanding use. The mouth of the blade has been tempered to a hardness of 63 HRC. The favourite of huntsmen and fishermen! Handle made from waxed Lapland birchwood and ergonomically shaped.
Sheath made from tough tanned leather. New, strong carrying link, lasts "from father to grandson". Lifetime guarantee covering material and manufacturing defects. For hunting, fishing, camping, whittling, as a gift for outdoor people.
Lapin Puukko Hunter - Bushcraft Canada

The other is another Puukko kinife from Kellam knives:

Specs on above knife:

The Puukko™ features a beautiful dyed curly birch handle with a 3.75" razor-sharp forged finish dark carbon steel blade. (The picture shows polished blade but this knife now comes with the black forged finish look. The handle is also now the same as the Wolverine in shape) This knife also has a full-tang construction with a brass bolster. These Puukkos are hand made in Finland. The knife comes with a beautiful dark brown leather sheath which is stamped with the Puukko™ logo.

Product Details:
  • Blade: 3.75" Carbon Steel
  • Handle: Stained Curly Birch
  • Total Length: 8.25"
  • Item ID: KPR4
Puukko [KPR4] - $79.95 : Kellam Knives Worldwide, Inc. - Finnish Puukko Knives and Products

Thanks to Rothenfluh for the heads-up on where to buy them.
eveled likes this.

Last edited by Deputy; 03-02-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #8

Tony1911 .22
Hey gang.

Just a heads up: These days in Finland there are a LOT of junk knives sold to tourists. Big name brands that boast that their knives are "hand made" (with blades lovingly stamped out from a steel sheet by a machine... ). Now, Lapin Puukko is not one of those companies I had in mind (in fact I hear their blades are rather good - so congratulations on getting a good knife! ), just be aware that if, for example, you're visiting over here and want to buy a knife from one of the souvenir shops or something, most likely you'll end up with unusable junk. You do have to do some research to know what brands are actual working knife quality and what aren't.

(Of course the very best puukko's are hand-made by one of the reputable knife smiths in Finland... And yes, that'll cost you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
She said that the Finns had limited ammo so they made great use of the Puukko knife for close-in fighting.
Well, there's the ever present lack of supplies we faced in the war, sure, but... Ever handled a Mosin-Nagant? Not exactly the most maneuverable weapon for close quarters use. Might have a bearing on the matter, too.

(Also, there was at least one raid where it was literally too dark to see who was who. So the troops were instructed to leave their guns behind, their backpacks on their back, and once they snuck into the Russian position to only stab people who weren't wearing a backpack. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
They must have a LOT of birch trees in Finland.
Yup. We do.
Tony1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #9

Deputy .22
Hi Tony!!! WOW! Didn't know we had anyone from Finland on the forum. WELCOME! I ended up with a pretty large collection of Finn puukkos. You are right...there is some crap out there trying to masquerade as "authentic puukkos". Some ARE authentic but are not suitable for carry as a defensive knife. I limited myself to knifeblades in the 3-4 inch range. Mostly less than 4 inch. Most resemble the Lapin Hunter puukko in the picture. I made sure I got only carbon steel blades and not stainless. Strainless is okay, just not as durable and much tougher to get a nice edge and have it keep that edge. And some of these knives have an edge sharp enough to shave with! I haven't found ANY other type of knife that matches the puukko for versatilty and durability. They are just plain awesome. I'll tell you one thing...I sure wouldn't want to be a Russkie soldier and have someone slip one of these between my ribs.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #10

Tony1911 .22
Howdy Deputy. Yeah, I have a first generation P99 and the lack of a standard rail gives me trouble whenever I want to add something to the gun. Joined here originally to do some research on the matter, unfortunately not many options out there for me.

Anyways. A puukko was never intended to be a defensive knife. The whole idea of this type of knife is to be a small, universal utility knife. In fact a lot of the design features make a traditional puukko downright lousy as a weapon - no finger protection, grip shape in general not conducive for fighting with, really slow draw ("a knifeless man is a lifeless man", like the saying goes - and so the traditional sheaths primary design feature was retention)... If you are looking for a Finnish blade more suitable for fighting, may I suggest either the m/95 or the m/07 Sissipuukko, aka Ranger Knife? You can buy one from several Finnish web stores for something like 80€. (In fact, here you go: Finnish Sissipuukko - Varusteleka.com ) While not the greatest knife in the world, it is a rather popular knife designed for military use - in fact the leather sheath is specifically designed for mounting onto the the shoulder strap of an m/85 LBE. (And I find at least the plastic sheath to be MOLLE-compatible with the use of a short MALICE-clip and a zip tie. ) And it is a decent knife in its price range (compared to what other knives cost in Finland, mind you).

Personally, I must admit I am more into Bowies myself.
Tony1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page
finnisch militari knife
finnish combat knife
finnish knife fighting

finnish puukko knife history

how to use a puukko knife

puukko as a weapon

puukko fighting knife

puukko knife

puukko knife history
puukko knives
puukko knives made in finland
roselli hunter
Click on a term to search for related topics.