WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #31
Que

Que .22
Sponsored Links
I suspect that these knives are probably made by the same folks who make knives under the S&W logo. That would be Taylor Cutlery. In any even, marked "440SS" would probably mean that the steel is 440A with the country of origin China. 440A is not considered to be particuarly great steel for a blade. If it is better than 440A that is almost always indicated, such as "440C". To most knife folks (I am one of them) 440C or even AUS8 offers a good starting steel. While these are not high quality knives (relatively speaking) I still like them. I own some rather expensive premium knives and still have a place for knives like these and tend to use them. That these are Walther logoed makes them very nice and something I would like to own. I like the looks of them quite a bit, and would bet dollars to donuts that they are Taylors.

On the other hand, that Walther P99 knife is made from 440C, which is nice. 440C from Seki City is a-okay! Spyderco has used Seki City steel (among many others) for years. Kershaw has also used it (Seki City VG-10) on some knice knives, especially the Lahar.

Those Walthers would make a very nice sub-collection. If I wasn't picking up a Savage 12 VLP out of layaway I'd be looking to acquire some of these.

Thanks for sharing them. I have a feeling this is going to cost me some money
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #32
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
Sportsmans Guide has the Walther knives too. I just ordered the Walther Multi Tac (Pocket Tool) for $24.97...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=709721

They have a couple of others too...search on "Walther knives"
Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #33

Pilotsteve .22
I also received the Sportsman's Guide catalog in the mail yesterday and found several of these Walther knives in there... including the multi-tool for a good price ($20 range if I recall). But I'm still not certain of the quality. Tanfoglio, elusive and mysterious as always, gave some sort of a hint but it doesn't mean much to me because I'm not a codebreaker.

It doesn't really matter much to me anyway, considering the fact they are in the Sportsman's guide catalog. Knives cannot be shipped to Massachus-istan! I cannot order the night-vision gear, not the hand camper's ax, or even the magazines. This state has no concept of reality and has gone off the deep end toward oblivion of the Constitution.

Nonetheless, should anyone acquire one of this fine-looking Walther knives, please let this thread know the place of manufacture. If China is not on the box, I have a way of getting around the asinine laws of this state. Vermont is mere kilometers away and I have a friend who lives there. And Vermont still believes in the draft of the founding fathers of this great nation.

-Pilotsteve.... who needs to get OUT OF MA!
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #34
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
I saw that in the Sportsmans Guide link:

WARNING: Cutlery cannot be shipped to Marin, Napa, Ventura and Yolo counties, CA; D.C.; MA or Puerto Rico.

Cutlery???

What do you Mass folks use to cut your steak...or does somebody from the state come and do that for you?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #35

Pilotsteve .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspec View Post
What do you Mass folks use to cut your steak...or does somebody from the state come and do that for you?
Ha ha we have to mail our steaks to Boston. There, the legislation comes to your house, chews the steak for you, and feeds it to the populace mother-bird style.

No, we cannot receive cutlery in the mail. Forks, knives, and spoons are very dangerous you see. In the hands of the wrong person a terrible squeeking sound can be made if the fork is dragged across the plate.

-Pilotsteve, who would be laughing if it weren't true!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #36
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
My Walther Black TAC, Silver TAC, and Black TAC Tanto knives have all arrived from http://www.sportsmanshuntingwarehouse.com

The knives, pouches, and boxes are all exactly as shown in TANFOGLIO's excellent photos...

They are Made in China but for $20 each they're a deal for a real Walther...
Old 01-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #37

Pilotsteve .22
Thanks, Milspec. That's kind of what I thought.

Dog gone it, I think the slang term is said?

-Pilotsteve
Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #38
Que

Que .22
I got the Sportsman Guide as well and immediately saw the Walthers. They might also show up on eBay and possibly for less. I can almost guarantee that these knive are made in China. Too bad that Boker didn't do them, but they would most likely be from China in that case as well also as Boker has different lines with the lower end from China. At least with Boker there would be somewhat of a German connection.

Again, even though the blade steel isn't the best, at worst you might find that the knife won't hold an edge for as long as better steel, but they should be easy to sharpen.

That said, if I was going to do any fancy Walther/knife combo photos, or a gun manufacturer that was putting my logo/name on a knife, a good knife like a Benchmade would probably be more appropriate in terms of comparable quality. When HK had knives made for them they chose Benchmade (and a few made by Boker). That Walther and Smith have knives that are most likely from the same source (Taylor) I suspect Smith's heavy hand in the production of these Walther knives.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #39
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
... I suspect Smith's heavy hand in the production of these Walther knives.
In that case, a Dremel tool would have been used to shape the blade.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #40
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
In that case, a Dremel tool would have been used to shape the blade.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page
walther 440ss

walther knife

walther knife review

walther knives

walther knives ohio
walther knives review
walther multi tac
walther p99 knife review
walther p99 tactical knife review
walther tiger eye

walther tiger eye knife

where are walther knives made
Click on a term to search for related topics.