WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #51
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Alzeimer's setting in: A CORRECTION

Sponsored Links
I get befuddled and confused easily these days. The Treasury agency that bought the 12 Walther MPK submachine guns was the Customs Service, not the Secret Service.

M

(So befuddled and devoid of common sense that not long ago I bought a Reising gun. A sign of advanced dementia.)
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #52

imashooter2 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
A shotgun might as well be a tank indoors. Once you touch off ONE shot, you will be totally blinded and possibly deaf. Unless you plan on also putting on ear muffs before pulling the trigger. It also depends on what you mean by "trumps". Even shotguns loaded with buckshot or slugs have been known to NOT stop a bad guy with one shot. At least with a handgun I will have a chance at follow-up shots if necessary.
-snip-
I've had the misfortune of having fired a 12 gauge 18" barreled Mossberg inside my home twice. Both events occurred after dark. I was neither blinded nor deafened on either occasion.

I'm not sure why you feel follow up shots would be a difficulty either.
imashooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #53
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
One thing is certain: The shotgun, regardless of make or model, hardly qualifies as a sweet shooter. It does, however, make a fine defensive weapon.
Absolutely correct. A 12-gauge shotgun is not "sweet" at all. It is brutal. At both ends.

M
Old 09-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #54
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Even with a riot-length shotgun, practice is essential. You have to be able to handle the gun instinctively, in the dark, by touch alone, and point accurately without seeing the sights.

I used to practice with a riot gun by occasionally shooting a round of skeet with it. I would miss more birds than if I had used a proper skeet gun (and took a lot of ribbing and strange stares) but my Winchester Model 12 came to be a very familiar companion. It breaks exactly in the middle, so it can travel inconspicuously in a duffle bag. That's handy when traveling in states where handguns are restricted.

M
Old 09-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #55
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
Quote:
=MGMike;99022

(So befuddled and devoid of common sense that not long ago I bought a Reising gun. A sign of advanced dementia.)
The semi-auto Reising Model 60 is a great home defense gun. Its .45 caliber cartridge can put a bad guy down with a single shot. After that the long barrel and heavy walnut stock make it a very effective club...

Milspec
Milspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #56
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
That's about all the Reising is good for: a single shot. They are so poorly made and rough inside that they are just the opposite of a "sweet" gun. They are sour. Even that single shot requires one to overcome a typically horrible trigger pull.

For less money one can buy an H&K USC carbine in .45 which makes no pretense to being "sweet". It's tasteless, uncomfortable and unfriendly, but it's well made and it works.

M
Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #57
Supporting Member

uncut .22
Mike
sometimes you sure surprise me

Nothing but the best for the best
Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #58
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncut View Post
Mike
sometimes you sure surprise me
I don't dare ask why.

My wife says I am very predictable.

M
Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #59
Supporting Member

uncut .22
mine says the same thing about me.....I guess after beeing married for so many years, you would hope they would say that....

Nothing but the best for the best
Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #60

153 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
By "sweet" I mean just a thorough and complete delight to shoot, silky and easy action and trigger, smooth recoil impulse, unfailingly reliable, more accurate than I can hold, and above all, satisfying. No unpleasant sting in recoil, no gritty take-up, no slide that has to be yanked forcefully open, no empties ejected into your forehead, no struggle to load the mag, or to latch & unlatch it, no silly sights that are visible only to teen-agers --none of those niggling little things that annoy, even though the gun may undeniably be a "good" gun. M
It's interesting to me that the P99 has not been brought up, although one could argue it is more "clever" pistol than "sweet". Still a good 9 mm is usually a pretty nice shooter, I find my 92fs shoots as nice as my 226, the BHP is also a good shooter with a tad more wieght.

I do find myself that a nice blue steel revolver has the heft. looks and trigger pull that pretty much define "sweet" for me. The accuracy part of the equation I find to be more elusive - depending on how sharp I am on a given day and how close the target is.
153 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page
army hard case
does geco still make bat ammo
fail boo ppk
high standard hd military grips
nazi star model b undelivered
reising 60 gun bag
sweet guns to shoot

sweet handguns

Click on a term to search for related topics.