WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #1

Candace .22
Anyone have an old Makarov?

Sponsored Links
I took a liking to the 9x18 Makarov and after a little research and some fondling at the local gun show, I want one. Does anyone have one, and if so, how do you like it?

I'm looking for one made in the 1950s and I guess made in the Soviet Union?
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
We like Makarovs too. Russian Pistolet Makarova (PM) military Makarovs are about the best of the breed but finding them isn't easy. I've personally never seen a surplus Russian PM that was manufactured in the 1950's (most are '60's and '70's) but I'm sure there are some floating around.

Russia exported some commercial Makarovs with adjustable sights to meet US import requirements, but most of the fixed-sight Russian PM's in the US were accidently imported with Bulgarian or East German surplus versions.

I enjoy shooting my Makarovs. The 9X18mm round is inexpensive for target shooting and Hornaday's 95 grain XTP is an excellent self-defense load. For more information on the Pistolet Makarova check out this site: http://www.makarov.com/makbasics.html

Here are photos of my 1977 Russian Military Makarov. It has "Germany" import markings so it probably came into the US in a batch of East German surplus guns..

In addition to Russian, East German, and Bulgarian Makarovs I have other military pistols that fire the same 9X18mm round. These include my Czech CZ-82, Hungarian FEG PA-63, Polish Radom P-64, and an East German Army FEG. All of these are fun to shoot but they aren't "real" Makarovs...just highly talented wannabes...

Milspec

Last edited by Milspec; 09-06-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Milspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #3

Candace .22
Thank you for the link! Your gun is absolutely beautiful!

I'm going to read up on that site and see what I can find. My birthday is next Monday (the 13th) and I have some how ruined every gift idea for my boyfriend This is his last hope, so I have to find "the gun".
Old 09-06-2010, 04:27 AM   #4

bigfatdave .38
I see Makarovs and other 9x18 guns at shows frequently, AIM surplus (and others, AIM is just the first to come to mind) have them in stock but handling first is always a good idea.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=3

I keep almost buying a Mak or Mak clone, but then I look at my PPS and move on. One of these days I'm sure I'll end up with a couple to add to my surplus pistol collection (currently a lonely CZ52, unless you count the PD trade-in Walther P.1).

Milspec, could a 9x18 round be mistaken for 9x19 easily? I don't think I've ever had one of each in hand and I worry about the whole imcompatibility thing when I have too much time on my hands.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
Milspec, could a 9x18 round be mistaken for 9x19 easily? I don't think I've ever had one of each in hand and I worry about the whole imcompatibility thing when I have too much time on my hands.
You tell me...

Here are photos of 9mm Luger (9X19mm), 9mm Makarov (9X18mm), and .380 ACP (9X17mm) in that order. The JHP rounds are Hornady XTP:

The 9mm Makarov (9X18mm) has a .364"-.365" bullet diameter so it usually won't chamber fully in a 9mm Luger pistol. Loading a 9mm Luger cartridge into a 9mm Makarov pistol would be highly dangerous because the blowback Makarov action can't handle the higher pressure of the 9mm Luger round. It's important to practice excellent ammo control as these three calibers do look a lot alike...

I checked AIM...they have CZ-82's in 9X18mm (an excellent gun) but no actual Makaovs. J&G has some VG condition Bulgaian Makarovs though...

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/4118

Milspec

Last edited by Milspec; 09-06-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #6

bigfatdave .38
Looks like the 9x19 tends to be pointy with the 9x18 and 9x17 being easily confused with their more spherical dimensions.

As I have no use for 9x17, I'm a bit less worried about ammo confusion ... maybe I'll make a policy of only steel-case 9x18 and only brass 9x19 for range stuff ... keeping Mak ammo in factory boxes only might be a good idea, too.

Another question for the makarov esperts:
Between a Czech CZ-82, a Bulgarian Makarov, or a Polish Radom P-64 ... which is thinner? And is the Polish offering any good?
Like Candace, I'm looking for a range toy that runs well, defensive uses in this size category are mostly covered by my PPS, but I'd probably end up with a carry setup just for the hell of it.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #7

Parabellus .22
Another wrinkle to consider is 9X18 Ultra used in PP Super. There are threads here dealing with that but my search function is not working well.

BTW that's one lovely Mak you have there Milspec.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Parabellus; 09-06-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Parabellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
Looks like the 9x19 tends to be pointy with the 9x18 and 9x17 being easily confused with their more spherical dimensions.

As I have no use for 9x17, I'm a bit less worried about ammo confusion ... maybe I'll make a policy of only steel-case 9x18 and only brass 9x19 for range stuff ... keeping Mak ammo in factory boxes only might be a good idea, too.

Another question for the makarov esperts:
Between a Czech CZ-82, a Bulgarian Makarov, or a Polish Radom P-64 ... which is thinner? And is the Polish offering any good?
Like Candace, I'm looking for a range toy that runs well, defensive uses in this size category are mostly covered by my PPS, but I'd probably end up with a carry setup just for the hell of it.
The Polish Radom P-64 is definitely smaller and thinner than either the Makarov PM or the double stack CZ 82. The Radom P-64 is similar to the PPK in both design and quality. It holds six rounds in the magazine plus one in the chamber. The standard trigger pull is about 40 pounds so plan on buying a Wolff hammer spring. My P-64 has never missed a beat in over 300 rounds of firing and makes a great self-defense gun when loaded with that big mouth Hornaday JHP. But it kicks like a .380 PPK so it may not be the best range toy.

Here's a link to the Unofficial P-64 page and info on the Wolff hammer spring fix:

http://www.p64resource.com/index.php
http://www.p64resource.com/fixes.php

If you want something that's more fun to shoot go with the CZ-82 or Makarov. The CZ-82 is a great self defense pistol with its 12-round double stacked magazines. In fact the commercial CZ-83 .380 still sells like hotcakes at over $400 each. The Military Bulgarian Makarov is a dead ringer for the Russian PM since they were made on the same Russian machinary. I have to look for the Circle 10 to tell a Bulgie Mak from my Russian.

In other words you can't go wrong with any of these steel frame 9X18mm shooters. The FEGs are decent pistols too but their alloy frame isn't as strong. I shoot standard velocity WWB or milsurp in these guns...

Here are some of my 9X18mm toys...

Russian military PM, Czech CZ-82,
Polish Radom P-64, Hungarian FEG PA-63,
DDR FEG AP-9

Milspec

Last edited by Milspec; 09-06-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
Supporting Member

UniversalExports .38
FORTY POUNDS on the trigger pull ! ! ! My, GAWD !

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #10

Candace .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalExports View Post
FORTY POUNDS on the trigger pull ! ! ! My, GAWD !
That is just crazy!!

I am on the look out on Gunbroker for one right now. I thought about collecting a few 9x18 toys, but this crazy trigger pull weight scares me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time

Search tags for this page
bulgarian makarov markings
bulgarian vs east german makarov

east german makarov markings

german 9mm makarov
german makarov markings
gun show makarov
makarov east german markings
makarov forum
makarov gun show
makarov markings
makarov markings east german
markings on german makarov
Click on a term to search for related topics.