Reporting posts - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > WaltherForums.com > Feedback, Comments and Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #1

Thiokol Unproven
Reporting posts

Just a quick thank you to those of you that have been reporting the spam posts. The spammers have been pretty active of late. However, you only need to report the post once regardless of how many different sub-forums it's been posted in.

Thanks again for your help. We moderators appreciate it.

Jim
Thiokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #2

parabellum Unproven
May I suggest considering a software upgrade for the forum? Software that would allow registrations to be queued up for approval would solve this problem handily. Newer software would likely also allow certain specific IP address or address ranges to be blocked from accessing the forum, and then these insects would go elsewhere with their unwanted crap. Absent those features, the ability to have a new member's initial posts be queued for review by a staff member, so that it may be determined if they are a legitimate member, would also strongly discourage these worms.
I like this forum, and seeing these jerks peddle their garbage here diminishes the place. The only reason they're coming here is because it is currently easy for them to do so.

Respectfully submitted.
parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #3

Thiokol Unproven
Thanks, Mike. We're currently discussing that very thing. Is that the type of software that you use on the Sig Forum?
Thiokol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #4

parabellum Unproven
Groupee's "Eve" software is what we run on SIGforum. Groupee will not allow anyone else to host this software, and therefore you must use Groupee as your host. The advantages of this? It's very secure and the engineers who wrote the software are at your beckon call for support.
The disadvantage - when you start moving the kind of bandwidth we are at SIGforum, it is damn expensive. I think we're doing something on the order of in excess of 5 million page views per month (maybe more, I haven't checked lately).
There are less expensive ways to go which would give you some or all of the features I've mentioned, but Eve is fantastic. It has highly granular permissions so that you can manage problem members. It has an admin control panel to die for. It's highly customizeable and scalable. It's really Enterprise software, so we're going the deluxe route. You might want to consider UBB.Threads.
There are viable software choices from other vendors, but I am less familiar with them.
parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
This is certainly good information here, parabellum. Many thanks for taking the time to provide this extra perspective. The mods appreciate it, to be sure. But it's the members who will benefit once all of the issues are sorted through.

One thing we can all agree on, of course, is far more posts ... and with no spam whatsoever.

Salute

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
J99

J99 .22
it is sad that forums get attacked by spammers

but a thanks should go out to all the mods for keeping the boards clean and to all that report spam to them

I've had to deal with spam on other sites quite a bit and I know that it can get very irritating

keep up all the good work I think I can say we all appreciate the hard work you guys put forward
J99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > WaltherForums.com > Feedback, Comments and Issues

Search tags for this page

sigforum banned

sigforum parabellum

Click on a term to search for related topics.