Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > WaltherForums.com > Feedback, Comments and Issues

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #11

charlievee .22
Can you just simplify things and issue CAC cards?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #12

MacCool .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Hey all,

We're not trying to make your lives more difficult,
But you are, Dayle.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Quote:
if you're one of the many, many online users that uses the same password and email across a variety of your accounts, you've put yourself at risk.

I used to do this, 6 or 7 years ago, then in a flash, 4 email accounts, 3 forum accounts, and my ebay account were all compromised.

Now...not one password is the same (or even close) to any other, and in fact, most of my user names are far different, as well.

And I guarantee my passwords are more than safe enough unless the guy on the other side is a hacker of skill.

That said.....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 06:26 PM   #14

jackrock .22
Quote:
Hey all,

We're not trying to make your lives more difficult, just trying to be proactive and help you to keep your information safe. While you may not have personal information like credit card numbers stored here, you do have your email address, and if you're one of the many, many online users that uses the same password and email across a variety of your accounts, you've put yourself at risk.

Dayle
Dayle,

I'm a security professional, so I can appreciate what you're doing here. I'm not sure that this level you're going to is really worth it, given the information you're protecting. Remember the audience, and remember the "return on investment".

I do commend you on not going shorter than 12 months for this. Any less, and I'd be so resistant to the change. Still, I can't help but see a decent amount of strife over this, while getting nothing in return.
admin likes this.
jackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #15

MacCool .22
I'm perfectly willing to accept the responsibility for my own internet security and the consequences of any weak spots therein.
Rustedbucket likes this.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #16

Austin Powers .22
Only fools use the same password for their e-mail as they do their forum accounts.

Besides, I'm not even using my main e-mail address for this forum, so even if my password between my e-mail and my Walther Forum account were the same, then they'd have gained access to an throwaway e-mail account.

Lastly, who are these low-rolling hackers who seek to crack the accounts of random Walther Forum members?
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #17

Rustedbucket .22
Mac said what I've been thinking. It's my job to keep my life/information secure. If I do a terrible job at it, I deserve the problems I inherit. If my account were to be compromised here, I'm confident that the moderators would have me locked in a heartbeat because they are on top of their game be very loyal to the forum.

Let it be. Why do I need to enter something new INTO your system? Because that's kind of fishy, "Hi, we're the new management. Enter a new password for us...."

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Rustedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:40 PM   #18

MacCool .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_PPKS View Post
Besides, I'm not even using my main e-mail address for this forum
Exactly. The email I use to register on forums is a throw-away account...it's dead. Not even checked on my computer. When I bought server space, they gave me something like 1500 email address slots.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #19

ronin11 .22
Hacker steals 45 million accounts from hundreds of car, tech, sports forums | ZDNet

This may have something to do with the password change.

oro se do bheatha bhaile

nec timeo nec sperno
ronin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:50 AM   #20

Rustedbucket .22
So, under their ownership from May 4th, has our information already been compromised?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Rustedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > WaltherForums.com > Feedback, Comments and Issues