Go Back   WaltherForums > WaltherForums.com > Feedback, Comments and Issues

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Bandwidth

UPDATE:

The QUOTES button was removed (11/24/16) so that new posts don't get lost under previous posts, which was so often the case on the forum. Posters can note by name who they are addressing or grab a line or two via a quick paste if they want to talk about a specific item in a previous post.

Update/in brief (11/15/16): Keep your mouse off the QUOTE button unless (and only unless) there's a good reason to quote a passage from a previous post. If you feel that you must quote from a previous post, please post only the relevant part of that post ... not the whole thing. Think of that button as the trigger on a pistol. Don't pull it unless you really want to shoot something.

Thanks.

If you see a notation in a post that it was edited for Bandwidth and have been wondering what's going on, please note item No. 6 in the forum's Rules of Engagement:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...ent-forum.html

Some judicious snipping of material from a previous post that you want to reference as you respond is appropriate. Quoting the entire passage takes up excessive amounts of bandwidth, and for no good reason. This is especially true when a photo or three are snagged, and quoted, with a comment at the end that says something along the lines of "Nice pix!"

Be sure that you leave the brackets alone at the start of the quote and at the end of the quote. To get the correct effect, you must leave them intact. it's the long stuff in the middle that has nothing to do with the point you want to address that needs to go ... again, for clarity's sake and as a help to fellow forum members.

Bottom line: If what you are quoting is miles longer than your reply, you need to snip snip snip.

Thanks in advance.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Last edited by searcher451; 11-26-2016 at 08:20 PM.
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #2

Bulld4wg .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
If you see a notation in a post that it was edited for Bandwidth and have been wondering what's going on, please note item No. 6 in the forum's Rules of Engagement:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...ent-forum.html

Some judicious snipping of material from a previous post that you want to reference as you respond is appropriate. Quoting the entire passage takes up excessive amounts of bandwidth, and for no good reason. This is especially true when a photo or three are snagged, and quoted, with a comment at the end that says something along the lines of "Nice pix!"

Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the violation, I am a senior member of many forums and I have never seen this come up ever. Have ever thought about allowing loyal members to contribute? This may help overcome bandwidth issues.
Deputy and DefendLiberty like this.
Bulld4wg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/payments.php
DefendLiberty likes this.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
It's as much a courtesy to fellow members and the readers of threads than it is to the owners of the site who have to pay to keep the forum operating. Seeing the same series of photos show up three or four times in a row with a tagline at the bottom of each fresh post that says "Great pix! Thanks for sharing!!" is not a lot of fun to wade through, nor is it necessary to make the point.

Not that it matters, but you'll see similar requests in the rules for many forums. It's just that it's an oft-ignored one.
FrankenCub and DefendLiberty like this.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #5

Deputy .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
I see nothing there that says if you pay you get to use more bandwidth.

I am a bit confused about this new procedure too. There are numerous forum sponsors paying to support this forum. And snipping off previous posts will make it pretty hard to follow the train of thought the poster is trying to address. I have already seen this confusion with posts I have had snipped. Sounds like the forum owners are trying to squeeze every last penny out of this forum. Even weirder is before the current forum owners took over, there was NEVER any problem with bandwidth.
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
That's why you leave the relevant parts in. If the entire, earlier, long post is relevant type in "See Post #___". Let's continue this by PM please. Thanks...

Last edited by Milspec; 04-08-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Milspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #7

bigfatdave .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
snipping off previous posts will make it pretty hard to follow the train of thought the poster is trying to address
I think clarity can be maintained.
Easier to read, too.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Nothing's new in this "new" policy, so-called. It was inherited by the current forum owners, and with good reason, I think. It's also standard on many other gun forums, some of which (and The High Road comes immediately to mind) have deleted the "quote" button because of excessive use, especially in reprinting photos with something approaching a two-word comment ("Great pix!") at the end.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #9

GeoNole94 .22
If more people who are regular users become a "supporting member" then perhaps we can all have more bandwidth?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
BFD is spot-on: It's easier on everyone if we snip the pertinent portion of a quote and then respond to that portion. It's pointless, and a waste of space, to quote a lengthy passage before adding "I agree" or "Couldn't have said it better myself" at the end.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > WaltherForums.com > Feedback, Comments and Issues