PPQ internal saftey question - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #1

marcus58 .22
PPQ internal saftey question

I just purchased a PPQ in 9mm. This is my first modern semi-auto pistol. I have owned revolvers and older pistols in the past. I understand the trigger safety. However, I have read that there are two additional internal safety mechanisms, a firing pin safety and a disconnect. Could someone please explain these to me? Thank you.
marcus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

balance .22
The Firing Pin Block is the purple part in this image below:

The FPB blocks the path of the striker until it is lifted up and out of the way by the trigger bar (yellow part). If for some reason the sear (green part), which holds the striker in its cocked position, was to fail, the striker would impact the FPB rather than the primer on the cartridge. The FPB also prevents the pistol from firing out of battery, as the slide needs to be in battery for the tab on the trigger bar to be in the correct place to lift it as far as it would need to go to stop it from blocking the striker.

The "trigger safety" is not a trigger safety. It is a drop safety. It is there to stop the trigger and trigger bar from moving rearward, lifting the FPB, and firing the pistol, if somehow the pistol was to fall and impact the rear of the pistol in a way that would cause the trigger and trigger bar to move rearward from momentum. If you take the slide off the pistol and try to move the trigger bar itself rearward, the "trigger safety" will stop it.

The "disconnect" you speak of is probably referring to the fact that the trigger bar will be disconnected from the firing mechanism unless the pistol is in battery. The second tab on the trigger bar, sits in a groove on the slide. When the slide moves rearward, it pushes the trigger bar down, and does not allow it to release the sear, which protects the pistol from an out of battery discharge.

Most modern pistols are pretty safe, mechanically. Just make sure the trigger doesn't get pulled unless you want a shot to go off.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

marcus58 .22
Thanks for the information. As I stated earlier this is my first modern pistol. I was surprised that Walther did not describe the safety mechanisms in the owner's manual. I'll be shooting this pistol for the first time this week. I will write a short review after that session. I bought this pistol because I liked my PK380. I was told the PPQ was a much better pistol. It's fit and finish is very good.

Last edited by marcus58; 09-02-2012 at 09:05 PM.
marcus58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #4

Cat91 .22
I love this diagram. It shows exactly what has been designed to prevent the pistol from firing unless the trigger is pulled.
Cat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
A perfect and succinct explanation Balance. You need to write for Walther.

olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #6

Cat91 .22
This should be a sticky, I think. For those of us who pack the PPQ every day we like to know just what design features are there to keep what is basically a cocked-and-locked pistol safe to be carried while ready for action in an emergency.

By the way, the trigger safety works marvelously well. I was at the range and shooting weak-handed and something blocked the trigger. I thought the gun was out of battery but it was not. I later replicated this with the PPQ safe and unloaded. I'd put my whole index finger around the trigger, with the trigger safety hitting at the top joint of my finger. And it was positioned just so that I wasn't pulling the safety lever back all the way. You have to have your finger right on the trigger, and exactly where it's supposed to be, for it to work right. You can't hit it obliquely.

Last edited by Cat91; 01-02-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Cat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #7

UncleMikey .22
I just got my PPQ 40 two days ago. I was looking for this exact information. This is very helpful! Thanks so much!
Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #8

LostCyborg .22
Thanks for the diagram and very simple explanation. I've looked at that picture before and sort of understood it, but your full explanation makes it very easy to follow.

I just picked up a PPQ Navy SD M2 about a month or so ago after selling one of my Glocks. I still do love and trust my typical EDC Glock 19, but this PPQ is freaking awesome!

I feel a little more comfortable carrying the PPQ now, after fully understanding how the internals work. Like I said, I am very familiar with the internals on the Glock, but looking at the under side of the slide on the PPQ I was having trouble exactly seeing how the FPB worked. Now I know! Thanks!
LostCyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:51 AM   #9

skulls .22
My PPQ is just for range purposes, so, yes I know, what about running the gun with the FPB plunger removed?

I read somewhere the gun would work and have an improved trigger and I got the idea from CZ, where sporting versions of duty guns like the CZ 75 Shadow have no firing pin safety. So *generally* a gun without a firing pin safety can be considered safe enough (even for duty like e.g. an old pre-B CZ 75) or at least "range safe". But how specifically would the safety mechanisms of a PPQ be affected? In my opinion one of two obstacles to the gun firing when dropped would be removed, which is acceptable in a sporting-only firearm. But apart from that, what could happen and what safety features would be given up by removing the #18 plunger?

Last edited by skulls; 05-27-2015 at 06:56 AM.
skulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #10
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by skulls View Post
In my opinion one of two obstacles to the gun firing when dropped would be removed, which is acceptable in a sporting-only firearm.
A poor opinion, in my opinion...I'm going to sound "legal" here, you will open yourself to serious liability issues in the unlikely event of a ND and I promise the court will rule that it IS an ND.

You are creating an unnecessarily dangerous situation with a weapon that is always in a cocked state...

It is your weapon but if you come to my range let me know what you've done to the weapon. I don't want to be anywhere near it...
searcher451 likes this.

olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ > FAQ: PPQ

Search tags for this page
how does the safety work on a walther ppq
ppq drop safety
walther ppq drop safety

walther ppq firing pin block

walther ppq firing pin safety
walther ppq internal safeties
walther ppq safeties

walther ppq safety

walther ppq safety features

walther ppq safety mechanism

walther ppq trigger mechanism

where is the safety on a walther ppq

Click on a term to search for related topics.