Walther Forums banner

Reported Interarms/Ranger Serial Numbers/Dates

200K views 365 replies 163 participants last post by  suprasonic 
#1 · (Edited)
As many of you know, we've had a number of posts asking for help with placing a manufacturing date on one of the Interarms/Ranger pistols. The posts are always frustrating because, unlike when requests come in for information on the Walther and Manurhin pistols, we can't be of much help.

To the best of our knowledge, Interarms never released a listing of serials numbers/dates that corresponded to the firm's production; as a result, the best that owners who want to place a date on their guns can do is to see if the test target that's sometimes included with the gun has a date marked on it.

In the interest of trying to help out with the date process for the Interarms pistols, let's use this Sticky as a place to post a serial number and the date on its test target; if the list grows, it would help provide a general idea about when a specific gun was made.

Here are two to kick off the list:

Interarms PPK/S Serial Number: 031790 Test Target Date: 1/28/83
Interarms PPK/S Serial Number: 035118 Test Target Date: 1/28/83

Please check your Interarms-made Walthers and chime in if you can help. Thanks in advance.

A couple of other notes here:

1. Dates also can sometimes be determined by having the original bill of sale. It's also important to keep in mind that the gun could have sat on the shelf for a year or three before being sold.

2. As MGMike has said previously: Extrapolation to arrive at annual figures is dangerous. It presumes steady production, which is seldom true.

See less See more
#56 ·
Welcome to the Forum ERmedic
your PPK/s was made by Walther in 1973

the guns that people "document" here are Interarms made in the USA PPK/S's ..... they don't have date of manufacturing on them as the German ones

#58 ·
The Interarms stamp for your pistol indicates that it was imported into the USA by the Virginia firm; it was made across the pond. Interarms later was awarded the contract to build pistols here; these firearms were made by Gasden Manufacturing and are stamped "Under License of" with the Walther legend/banner on the left side of the slide and the Interarms stamp on the right-hand side.

Hope that helps a bit.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

#59 ·
I'm probably wrong on this, but weren't the U.S. Interarms versions made in Gadsden, Alabama, by Ranger Manufacturing? I never heard a Gasden (or Gadsden?) Manufacturing in relation to the PPK and PPK/S before this.

#60 ·
No, you are correct, UE. Nice spot. Mark me down as car-lagged after a long drive last night from Yellowstone. Ranger Manufacturing from Gadsden, Ala., is correct. I've been told that the folks at Interarms were quite picky with the guns that they accepted and tested, then sent a large number back to Alabama to be fixed/made right before they were finally offered for sale. That might explain why so many folks who own the Interarms pistols are quite happy with them, years later.

#63 ·
Hey all, I was wondering if I can find info on my PP .22lr that is one of those British contract pistols. Has the "eagle " over 129 stamped in several places and that rough pin punched "IAC ALEX VA" on the frame. Serial # 42XXXLR. There is no year/elk horn on the ejection port of the barrel. At least getting the year would be a start. Thanks!

#71 ·
INTERARMS PPK/S

Picked this up yesterday...
Blue 1969 German/Ulm PPK/S - SN#1357**

One of the first ones... after the 1968 ban.
Marked/dated 69 w/Ulm antlers.
Eagle over N on frame/slide etc...
Looks like all is original... Feeds and shoots like butter...

Always wanted a German one. Now I know what I was missing.
Fine workmanship is evident... Very tight fit everywhere...
It's much lighter than my mid 90's PPK/S (Stainless)

BTW, my mid 90's Interarms PPK/S works great. But there is something
about these German guns that's a mystery indeed...

Keep it clean... never have problems...

#75 ·
walther .380

ok so heres the deal...i havent read any posts that remotely sound like my pistol. blued barrel. .380 black grips that say walther on top and made in germany on the bottom of left grip. right side of slide says "interarms" "alexandria / virginia" and a serial number 69849. right side between trigger and grip has serial number 69849A. these are the only markings on the pistol. and it has the drop hammer safety, so i assumed it was one of the s & w models.... the gun was given to me and i am very interested on the year and manufacturer and maybe a price range for the pistol. i shot it twice and already blew the rear sight apperature off of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.