Walther Forums banner

Reported Interarms/Ranger Serial Numbers/Dates

200K views 365 replies 163 participants last post by  suprasonic 
#1 · (Edited)
As many of you know, we've had a number of posts asking for help with placing a manufacturing date on one of the Interarms/Ranger pistols. The posts are always frustrating because, unlike when requests come in for information on the Walther and Manurhin pistols, we can't be of much help.

To the best of our knowledge, Interarms never released a listing of serials numbers/dates that corresponded to the firm's production; as a result, the best that owners who want to place a date on their guns can do is to see if the test target that's sometimes included with the gun has a date marked on it.

In the interest of trying to help out with the date process for the Interarms pistols, let's use this Sticky as a place to post a serial number and the date on its test target; if the list grows, it would help provide a general idea about when a specific gun was made.

Here are two to kick off the list:

Interarms PPK/S Serial Number: 031790 Test Target Date: 1/28/83
Interarms PPK/S Serial Number: 035118 Test Target Date: 1/28/83

Please check your Interarms-made Walthers and chime in if you can help. Thanks in advance.

A couple of other notes here:

1. Dates also can sometimes be determined by having the original bill of sale. It's also important to keep in mind that the gun could have sat on the shelf for a year or three before being sold.

2. As MGMike has said previously: Extrapolation to arrive at annual figures is dangerous. It presumes steady production, which is seldom true.

See less See more
#29 ·
PP .22LR

I found a NIB/LNIB German PP .22LR blue today. I have no history (gun shop took it in trade) it is mint, appears to not been fired (except for factory proof target), absolutely no evidence of wear, scratches or residue. Spare mag is still in oiled bag. Serial No is 43XXXLR, has 76-stag stamp & has Eagle over N stamp on barrel, and Eagle over N stamp on the slide, and Interarms (starburst) logo stamp on the slide. Came in box, w/ multi-lingual manual, German factory test target, 2 mags (one w/ finger extension, one flat base) and oak grips (absolutely no wear). It is either NIB or 100% & unfired.

Any help on when it was made?

#31 · (Edited)
Thanks for this thread, but I hope we can get more info. My PPK falls between 1987 and 1994! But I have a blued PPK in 380, kinda of rare compared to the PPKs in stainless.

Mine is # K008663, but my test target says 10/11. So I gues it was test fired October 11 of a mystry year??!! Also, my target shows it shooting to the right, which it did until I drifted the rear sight myself. Now it's dead on. I suppose that shows one difference between the American and German made guns.

A few years ago I think someone on the P38 forum had the Gadsden production dates and disclosed to someone looking for a DOB, and I remembered he commented that he shouldn't be doing this. If he/she was real then I am sure they are somewhere. Does anyone know what happened to the Gadsden plant?

#32 ·
That's interesting, Doc. I don't recall anyone over at the P.38 Forum disclosing the dates on the Ranger operation, but I easily could have missed it as well. I'll do some poking around over there with one of the mods I know pretty well and see if I can track that down. It's a good rumor, in any event, and a reminder that we should never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

#34 ·
I know that The High Road has requests from time to time for the born-on dates of Interarms-made handguns, so it's doubtful that it would there; the folks who live on THR are as quick with a search button as any on the internet.

I'll poke around the P.38 board a bit and see if anyone remembers this; it would be a heck of a find it true.

#36 ·
PM sent; hope it was helpful. Be sure to read through the various threads here on folks' opinions of the Interarms, Manurhin, and German-made pistols. Much of it depends on your experience with a particular gun that you acquired somewhere along the line, which isn't always a fair assessment but is understandable nonetheless.

#39 ·
I have the same problem. I have the receipt for the PPK/S 380 when I bought it new for 1/11/86 and the test target says 8/26 shot at 15meters. So I guess it has to be at leasts 1985 or just a bit earlier. It was new when I bought it.
It is an Interarms Alexandria Virginia on the right side and Walther made in U.S.A on the left. The piece in the injection port has what looks like a VA stamped on it. Ser. Number is S032037.

Can anyone give me any info on this pistol and if this is a good bad or indifferent PPK/S?

thanks for the help

#41 ·
The S/N on mine is S0618xx and it was purchased new in 07/1989. Unfortunately, the original Walther case and the target are stored away where it's a PITA to get to right now so I can't confirm any "born on" date (I keep it in a padded, flannel lined gun bag). I do know that the place I bought it from told me they had just gotten it in shortly before I looked at it, so I imagine it was made sometime earlier that year. What you described as the stampings/engravings on the pistol are the same as mine.

The only real mechanical problem I've ever had with the gun was that the original recoil spring broke about two coils from the end that rests against the frame. I had some FMJ ammo feed problems shortly after I replaced the spring but they seem to have disappeared with no issues for over 250 rounds of FMJ now. Never had a problem with JHP.

#42 ·
Yeah I haven't fired it for about 20 years. I bought some Glaziers (sp) at that time and have had it loaded since then. I decided to take it out and bought some FMJ ammo about a week ago. I had one stove pipe with the Glaziers(two mags fired). The FMJ's went fine about 35 fired.
I would like to get some FMJ ammo for it. As a matter of fact I would like to reload for it. Does anyone have exp reloading for this pistol or know where I can go to get info for reloading?

thanks

#43 ·
...I would like to get some FMJ ammo for it. As a matter of fact I would like to reload for it. Does anyone have exp reloading for this pistol or know where I can go to get info for reloading?

thanks
Not sure how experienced you are at reloading (I have "0" for pistol, have done some shotgun) but I recently watched this ~1/2 hour Youtube vid about it and thought it might be germane to your question.

This gent, Hickock45, has a whole load of vids on a bunch of gun/shooting related topics. some are nicely informative, some are plain tongue-in-cheek silly.

This one is in the former category:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/u/31/irC3NuIKDm4

This in the latter (very short):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qzZ-ht7tP0

Enjoy (or not...)

#44 ·
I have no exp with loading center fire at all. I've done quite a bit of shot shell. Anyway, I am a hunter but that poor crow. LOL Anyway just picked up all the stuff I need to reload the Walther .380 this afternoon. A bit lighter in the pocket I may say but I plan to load some .38 and 357 also so maybe in a while it will pay off. I've looked at a bunch of reloading videos but am downloading the 30 minute one you sent. Should be interesting but don't know what they can talk about for 30minuts. Well I guess I will see. Thanks for the links.

#46 ·
I suppose that we could always start with that last post, umbrella. :)

One of our members has been compiling a master list of the Interarms serial numbers, though it's been some time since he's reported in. Truth be told, we've been waiting on that updated material to better define the good material that's included in here. I'd urge a bit of patience.

#48 ·
Perhaps I should have started a new thread. :p

In my defense, it remains that on page 1 we have 8/10 posts including serial numbers and dates whereas by page 4 and 5 the percentage is down to 1/10.

A PDF does seem like a good solution if you can find someone who wants to keep it updated.

#47 ·
how about you guys do a PDF or something and attach it to the sticky as a file ???
I am sure we could work something out
or post who the person in charge of the masterfile is and have people email or PM alongside with posting here

#50 ·
Only the S&W-made firearms at at issue. The Interarms pistols exactly copied the German- and French-made PPKs. S&W deviated from the design in a couple of areas, including the extended beavertail and the hammer block mechanism.

#51 ·
PPK/S Serial Number

Found your site over at "The High Road" while trying to date my Interarms stainless ppk/s.
Looks like you have a good start on this info. i believe I have a first year of the S prefix serial numbers. The target in the box is dated 8/9/83. My swag is that 1983 is the first year of the S prefix Stainless Interarms PPK/S. My NUMBER is S000944. Hope this helps

#52 ·
Thanks for that, Phil, and welcome aboard. We trust that you'll enjoy your time here. The Interarms stainless PPKs are fan-favorites here; many members still use them as primary carry pieces, given their overall reliability and accuracy.

#55 ·
PPKs Serial Number

Happy 4th!
I am new to the forum and just purchased a PPK/S.
I've looked around the forum but can't find the info on the serial number of my sidearm. It's 177159 and 73 is on the ejection port.
It has a highly polished blued finish with a Made in West Germany on the safety side and Interarms Virginia on the ejection port side. Additonal markings include Model PPK/S 9mmKurz
Any assistance on the history/birthdate and location of manufacturer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.