Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5 > FAQ: P5

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #11

Deputy .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
I'd worry I'd bend the spring.
Nope. Mine stayed straight as an arrow. Even the ones I took off are still straight.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Dep: You have emerged (temporarily, at least) from the subterranean gloom of my Ignore List. I was fascinated by your Sinophobic Method, so I tried it.

Original P38 springs have closed and ground end coils, which means the end has to be plucked out with a dental pick or similar tool before the unwinding can begin. It's over 4 inches of spring, so it takes a lot of unwinding. I got it about halfway out before the remainder of the spring still in the frame started binding on the spring rod, forcing me to use more torque than my precious little fingers could apply. In the end I simply reverted to removing the spring rod, and pulled the spring out forward in conventional fashion.

If the Bamboo-Free Gunsmith Diet works for you, and the spring is undamaged, that's fine; I have no quarrel with it. But I found I can remove and reinstall both springs in less time than it took to partially unscrew one of them.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #13

Deputy .38
Yep, it takes patience and a lot of unwinding. With my diabetic neuropthic fingers it was loads of fun. I got it about 1/2 way out and then removed the guide rod, so no binding from that. Then continued to unscrew it. At about 1/4-1/2 inch left it just popped out on it's own. If the troops had to replace a spring in the field, I bet they did it the backdoor way, rather than risk launching the guide rod or spring or both.

Last edited by searcher451; 02-04-2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: bandwidth
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
I'm just happy to see Mike and Deputy (sort of) getting along again!

As far as the spring removal goes, I tried both ways and I'll stick with using Walther Special Disassembly Tool (Part Number 406-11B):

Works so well for taking the magazines apart too - you can push that little button waaaay in so the bases slide right off. And they help take PPK slides apart like a champ, too.

-Pilotsteve
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #15

djr46 .22
p38 recoil spring change

Bought 3 sets of springs from Wolff. Just knew I'd be needing them when changing springs on my BYF43.....

I tried, Unsucessfully, to remove the old springs from the front as suggested earlier in this thread. I could Not do it and finally removed the springs from the rear while being careful to Not deform them. Unscrewed them as suggested in another thread. No problems and the retainer fell out in front. I checked length on both springs against the new Wolff's and they definitely Needed to be changed. Compressed and short. Removal from the rear was slow and tedious but damaging Old springs was not a problem. It didn't happen though as no spring was deformed in the removal process and I avoided any damage to guides or retainers.

I installed the new springs from the front. Compressed them with a small dental pick and slid retainers into place and all worked like a charm.

I learned and used something from several different opinions/methods mentioned here in this thread. Worked for me.

Thanks for the Valuable info. Never would have got it done without ya'lls help.
DJ
ronin11 likes this.
djr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #16

djr46 .22
spring changes

Changed recoil springs on my other 2 P38s. Took all of 20 minutes. I feel like an old pro. Everything went smooth as silk, but when doing this job, Pay Attention.....
Once again, thanks for the valuable info on this subject.
DJ
Deputy likes this.
djr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #17

Deputy .38
Glad to have helped. I am the "change from the rear" guy that posted that info. I also install from the rear too.

Last edited by searcher451; 02-06-2015 at 10:18 PM. Reason: bandwidth
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5 > FAQ: P5

Search tags for this page
tanfo walther
walther p5 hammer springs

walther p5 springs

walther video by tanfo
Click on a term to search for related topics.