WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22 > FAQ: P22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Locked-N-Loaded .22
Part # for newer style Gen 3 P22 magazines??

Sponsored Links
So I have read the P22 Bible and some other posts here and on the web that reference the issues with the Gen 1 and Gen 2 magazines for the P22 and that the newer Gen 3 are the better ones to get.

The Gen 3 - so I have read - have the 1" slot at the top and a letter B after the serial number.

SO.. is there an exact model number that corresponds to these Gen 3 magazines?
Locked-N-Loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #2

1917-1911M .38
P-22 Magazines, Photo History - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Don't know about any of this 2nd, 3rd generation designation. Mag history thread above. M1911
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #3

Locked-N-Loaded .22
Good data there. The reason I ask is when looking to buy mags, wanting to make sure they are the most current model - Gen 3 using the "B" stamp - and not buying "new old" stock some might be selling but using a similar part # as the newer gen.

This captures some of what I am talking about as does the link you provided.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #4

1917-1911M .38
I've never read of any 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation, etc. Original mags had no stagger slot. The next mag was an A suffix part number set of mags with the 1" stagger slot ( long slot). The first were blued, then made of stainless steel. These were very similar to the later B series mags. Around 2006 there was a lot of discussion about poor ejection direction of spent cases and Walther modified the long slot A mags to a short slot in an attempt to affect ejection direction. Didn't work.

Not only that but the mags caused the pistols to jam, double feed, live rounds to jump out of the pistol while firing. So these magazines were not the firsts A suffix mags but came after the long slot A mags had been in production for several years.

Upon the failure of the short slot A mags Walther introduced the B suffix mags. This was a return to the long stagger slot of the A mags but with a taller spring retaining nub and the body of the mag was now stamped out of slighly thicker steel.

The only other changes were that the expansion tabs that engage the mag safety foot on the top edge and the magazine retaining lock on the bottom edge were stamped in a manner that caused them to stick out further from the body of the magazine. This began with the stainless steel A mags.

So, if you have the original no stagger slot mags or the short slot A mags and are having feeding issues, contact S&W and ask for the new replacement mags. My opinion is that the long slot A mags are every bit as good as the B mags.

Correct order of manufacture:

No stagger slot slot mag was the original
Blued A mag with 1" stagger slot, old style mag catch stamping
Stainless A mags with 1" stagger slot, expanded mag catch stamping
Stainless A mags with 3/8" stagger slot
Stainless B mags with a return to 1" stagger slot and thicker material for the body.
The most recent magazines as reported summer of 2011.......no more B or A suffix. No letter suffix at all.

M1911

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 07-18-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #5

Locked-N-Loaded .22
The use of "Generation" I picked up elsewhere (but is a pretty common nomenclature to expect to use I feel).

The real problem here are place - like Gunbroker - they sell magazines but they use a part number and then show varying possible mag photos so it's hard to know what your getting.

So, having some of this info at hand to clarify with the seller what exactly they have to sell can help 1 correctly buy more current and recent mags.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #6

1917-1911M .38
I agree with that L&L.....I've seen pictures of the original mags in adds and I'm pretty sure they don't have those for sale. But, I sure wouldn't want to buy a short slot A and I really doubt a lot of dealers know this history and that there are mags you don't want.

On another note......oh about '06.....I posted a thread on the dedicated 5" P22. See below. We carried on about it and had a lot of fun. Even got some e-mails from Germany on what a good looking pistol it was.....problem was....it was all Photoshop. That didn't stop Cabella though. Their Christmas catalog had a picture of that pistol in it. One of the members at RFC saw it in the store and demanded one of these pistols. Of course he was in on the joke. Man that caused some confusion behind the counter.

So, we know someone at Cabella visited RFC and lifted the non-existant 5" model for their Christmas catalog..... Better the buyer be up to date on mag purchases and know what questions to ask. M1911

I later added the wording to the side.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #7

NCTransplant .22
The mag supplied with my new P22Q has a part# 512.600
NCTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #8

Twrecks .22
It's strange that the 1" slot is called the stagger slot. I've done some experiments and found that some rounds do not stagger (alternate to left and right) about 25% of the time. At this point, I don't believe it is there primarily to stagger. It is there to keep the next round to chamber from pulling forward with the top round, which is acted upon by the breech block. In many magazines (i.e. AR-15) the next round get's pulled forward by the top round (friction) until it's tip rests against the magazine. That prevents a double feed. In the P22 the next round doesn't have magazine ahead of it to stop it from double feeding. The rim (with the primer) is caught by the "stagger" slot. That's my finding anyway. Anybody know different?

Twrecks
Twrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #9

1917-1911M .38
I don't......what should we call it then...rim capture slot? M1911

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22 > FAQ: P22

Search tags for this page
p 22

p22 magazine

p22 magazines

walther 512.600

walther p22 generations

walther p22 magazine

walther p22 magazine 512.600
walther p22 magazine for sale
walther p22 magazine problem

walther p22 magazines

walther p22 mags
Click on a term to search for related topics.