Walther P 1 Serial Numbering and matches - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics > FAQ: The Classics

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #11

Northstar .22
Hi again Milspec,
Where is the barrel stepped? Just curious about how to tell a replacement barrel from an original one.

Also, I was wondering when P1 production ended? And, the 9.93 date on the frame - is that the date the frame was replaced or does it indicate something about when the frame was actually made? I understand that you told me the date on the slide is the date the slide was made, not necessarily the date it was added to this particular pistol.

Last edited by Northstar; 03-04-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Asking for more info.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-05-2015, 02:12 AM   #12
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
Your original P38 barrel had a muzzle similar in appearance to the WW2 type and a liner that was held in the jacket by a pin. The "stepped muzzle" on your P1 is usually found on a later type barrel where the liner was held in place by a ring at the end of the chamber. You should be able to tell which type you have (pinned, thin, or wide ring) by checking the chamber end of your barrel.
The Bundeswehr Model P38/P1 was manufactured from 1957 through 1992. The "W 9.93" stamp is the St. Wendel rework date. It's not when the frame was manufactured but it may be when it was installed.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #13

KINGP38 .22
Great information

I also have a new to me P1 that I thought I knew more about than I really did after reading through these post. I will post pics and any information would be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (118.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (104.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (123.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (96.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (146.9 KB, 20 views)
KINGP38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2015, 10:30 PM   #14
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
KINGP38: Bundeswehr (German Army) P1's have a three digit serial number on the slide and locking block. P1's with a four digit stamp (like yours) are usually police types. Do you see any BMI or police markings on your P1? Also look closely at the dual eagle stamps on the frame, slide, and barrel. Is there a number inside the wings or something else?

Since you have a thin slide P1 be sure to fire only standard velocity target ammo in 115 grain to 124 grain bullet weights. Avoid any +P or NATO marked ammo. Your P1 appears to be in excellent condition. It's a beautiful gun.

I've attached a photo of three P1's that are similar to yours. The top is a 1968 commercial model P1. The middle is a BMI police P1. The bottom is a Hesse police P1. Note the police models have the four digit serial numbers on the slide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1 Three Slide LS-picsay.jpg (1.39 MB, 34 views)
searcher451 likes this.

Last edited by Milspec; 10-31-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Milspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #15

KINGP38 .22
Thanks for the great info Milspec
KINGP38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:06 AM   #16

SerialSteve .22
Indeed-thanks so much. This post helped me out quite a bit.

My P-1 has a three-digit number stamped on the slide (the last three digits of the serial number on the frame/trigger guard area), but also has a three digit number on the slide which has been lined out. Slide, frame and barrel numbers all match otherwise.
SerialSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:07 AM   #17
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialSteve View Post
My P-1 has a three-digit number stamped on the slide (the last three digits of the serial number on the frame/trigger guard area), but also has a three digit number on the slide which has been lined out.
It's common for slides that have been removed from unserviceable P38/P1's to be returned to the supply system as repair parts. Later they were than renumbered and reutilized on repaired P1's. You can still buy these P38 & P1 slides in the repair parts packaging either stripped or as complete slide assemblies.

If the replacement slide was installed at a military repair facility you still have a matching P1. In some cases so many parts have been replaced over time that the serial number is the only original component.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics > FAQ: The Classics

Search tags for this page

renumberguns

Click on a term to search for related topics.