P.1 questions: Fat slides and hex pins - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics > FAQ: The Classics

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Some browsing through the various links in this thread ...

More P.38 info

... will answer many of your questions.

And, of course, there's always this court of last resort:

Books for Walther lovers/gun lovers

As the wise man once said, "Before you buy guns, buy books about guns."

Happy hunting.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #12

mr.mosin .22
my p38

What can you tell me about my p38?
mr.mosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
You have a 1962 military type Walther P-38 manufactured before the P1 was fielded in 1963. It has the typical Walther inspection marks (such as the 8 by the hammer). The "Dot in Circle" stamps indicate your P-38 was inspected to military & police standards. The pairs of Bundeswehr/military "droop wing" eagles on the main parts are combination proof and acceptance stamps applied by the Materials Testing Agency of the Federal Defense Ministry. Your P-38 has the standard non-reinforced frame (no HEX pin) and standard non-reinforced "thin" slide. It has the new type square notch rear sight rear sight and should have the wide front sight with a white dot. I can't read the first three serial numbers to check against the chart. The last three numbers are stamped on the three main parts so it's considered to be a "matching" gun. What else can we tell you...
mr.mosin likes this.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #14

mr.mosin .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspec View Post
You have a 1962 military type Walther P-38 manufactured before the P1 was fielded in 1963. It has the typical Walther inspection marks (such as the 8 by the hammer). The "Dot in Circle" stamps indicate your P-38 was inspected to military & police standards. The pairs of Bundeswehr/military "droop wing" eagles on the main parts are combination proof and acceptance stamps applied by the Materials Testing Agency of the Federal Defense Ministry. Your P-38 has the standard non-reinforced frame (no HEX pin) and standard non-reinforced "thin" slide. It has the new type square notch rear sight rear sight and should have the wide front sight with a white dot. I can't read the first three serial numbers to check against the chart. The last three numbers are stamped on the three main parts so it's considered to be a "matching" gun. What else can we tell you...

You have me 100%

The sn is: 158696. So, Is this a "true" p38, in as much as NOT A P1. Its quite heavy even empty. Feels like a P.08 empty too...

Would off the shelf 9mm be ok? I buy 9mm standard stuff on sale... am I safe?
How rare is this? I see lots of P1's on the market, with the hex bolts. From all the reading i've been doing on the forum- I've seen the HEX is just more or less to shoot hotter loads, and not have the frame break, is this mostly true?

The mag that came with it, says P1 but the second mag I bought says P.38. Are they both technically the same?

I also believe for a period of time, Walther also made P08's (Lugers).

Is there any other neat history that can go along with my gun? I am all for the history this is why I collect!! .

Because of this Walther, I went out and bought a (FEG-PMK.380) Walther PPk Copy.

Also looking at p99. Walther, has a quality that "globalization." seems not to have destroyed for cheaper production, else ware. I see German made weapons, to be staunch for quality... I love my P.38 Bty... is it correct to add the dot in P.38? Since I though this is reserved for Army Handguns (Walthers).. But was this a service Walther? Thanks again,..... its like Christmas now

Last edited by mr.mosin; 07-12-2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: I was freaking out, and made no sence.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mosin View Post
You have me 100%

The sn is: 1586XX. So, Is this a "true" p38, in as much as NOT A P1. Its quite heavy even empty. Feels like a P.08 empty too...

Yes, you have a "true" P-38...but it's not a WWII model. Yours was one of the post-war P-38's supplied to the German Bundeswehr between 1957 and 1963. In late 1963 the model designation was changed from P-38 to P1. Other than slide markings the P38 and P1 are identical.

Quote:
Would off the shelf 9mm be ok? I buy 9mm standard stuff on sale... am I safe?
Yes, you can use off-the-shelf standard velocity 9mm ammo. I recommend 124 grain round nose FMJ.

Quote:
How rare is this? I see lots of P1's on the market, with the hex bolts. From all the reading i've been doing on the forum- I've seen the HEX is just more or less to shoot hotter loads, and not have the frame break, is this mostly true?
Well, there were about 60,000 P-38 models made that unless they were upgraded wouldn't have the Hex pin reinforcement. The Hex pin doesn't make the the pistol any stronger or more capable of handling hotter loads. It just gives the locking block a piece of steel to hit instead of battering the alloy frame. The reinforced "fat" slide helps to prevent cracking at the locking block cutouts. I wouldn't use +P or any other "Hot" ammo in any version of the P38 or P1 - regardless if it has the Hex pin frame or reinforced slide.

Quote:
The mag that came with it, says P1 but the second mag I bought says P.38. Are they both technically the same?
Other than the markings the P38 and P1 magazines are identical.

Quote:
I also believe for a period of time, Walther also made P08's (Lugers).
Let's see...Lugers were made by DWM, Erfurt, Spandau, Simson, Mauser, Vickers, Bern, Erma (.22) and even a few replicas in the US. I wish Walther made lugers but I don't think they did...

Quote:
Is there any other neat history that can go along with my gun? I am all for the history this is why I collect!!

Because of this Walther, I went out and bought a (FEG-PMK.380) Walther PPk Copy.

Also looking at p99. Walther, has a quality that "globalization." seems not to have destroyed for cheaper production, else ware. I see German made weapons, to be staunch for quality... I love my P.38 Bty... is it correct to add the dot in P.38? Since I though this is reserved for Army Handguns (Walthers).. But was this a service Walther? Thanks again,..... its like Christmas now
Actually, your P38 already has the Walther military inspection standard "Dot" inside the little circles on all the main parts. If you want to add a dot to "P38" be my guest. Your "P.38" is a military handgun...primary sidearm of the German Bundeswehr in fact. You can tell it's a military version by the pairs of droop wing eagles on the frame, barrel, and slide.

For history be sure to buy the book, Walther Pistols Models 1 Through P99, by Dieter H. Marschall. Every Walther owner should have this in their library.
mr.mosin and ChiefRodge like this.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #16

mr.mosin .22
:)

Thank you for your follow up. I knew it was of a vintage. Now, I can tell all of the die hard "experts" who say no no its a P1... Its a p.38.

Also, its a pleasure to shoot, very little kick back.

As for Walther making Lugers, I was just under that impression since everyone was making Lugers till about 1930. A friend of mine owns a 1908 DWM, in near mint condition, that was over hauled by mauser in 1914, and was then re issued to the SS in 1937. it is tri dated, and I tried to fast talk him into selling it to me... just no. It even has the original wooden grips!! MATCHING TO THE GUN! Really really worn, but still in good condition! I always think, what did this thing see, and were was it??

Last edited by mr.mosin; 08-03-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 08-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #17

GDavis Unproven
I am certain I have a commerical P38 (post war), but the legend on the slide just has the Walther stamp/banner, and then to the right P38 Cal 9mm. That's it as far as the manufacturer info is concerned. Were all the commerical P38 marked like this?

Sorry- no pic at this time. Thin slide, no hex. Serial 20102X.
GDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavis View Post
I am certain I have a commerical P38 (post war), but the legend on the slide just has the Walther stamp/banner, and then to the right P38 Cal 9mm. That's it as far as the manufacturer info is concerned. Were all the commerical P38 marked like this?

Sorry- no pic at this time. Thin slide, no hex. Serial 20102X.
I'd expect a commercial P-38 with your serial number to have the factory name and location above the "P38 Cal 9mm" stamp on the slide. If you post photos of your P-38 we could probably figure it out...
Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #19

GDavis Unproven
I do not mean to jump on the OP thread, but I got a lot of great information reading it and thought in the "spirit" of the thread, this is appropriate. I apologize to the OP if you think it is not.

I hope the pics are OK, I could not find out digital camera and used my IPhone.

Wow- those are lousy picturers, but I believe you can see what I was trying to describe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P38 1.jpg (57.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg P38 2.jpg (36.2 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by GDavis; 08-17-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Picturers did not attach
GDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #20

mr.mosin .22
some idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavis View Post
I do not mean to jump on the OP thread, but I got a lot of great information reading it and thought in the "spirit" of the thread, this is appropriate. I apologize to the OP if you think it is not.

I hope the pics are OK, I could not find out digital camera and used my IPhone.

Wow- those are lousy picturers, but I believe you can see what I was trying to describe.

looks like it could be an army pistol like mine, with the double dot. but it looks like a p1 (note the hex nut in the fame)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics > FAQ: The Classics

Search tags for this page
heavy slide for walther
p1 fat slide
p1 hex pin
walther p1
walther p1 fat slide
walther p1 heavy slide
walther p1 hex
walther p1 hex bolt

walther p1 hex pin

walther p1 pin vs no pin
walther p1 steel hex pin
walther p38 hex pin
Click on a term to search for related topics.