WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #1

amvet Unproven
Do I have a real P38K?

Sponsored Links
I know there must be a thread about this but I've had no luck searching. First off let me admit I know nothing about Walthers. Oh, I can name the different model but that's about it. A while back I bought a P38 from a guy who knows even less about Walthers then I. The gun has a short barrel, only slightly longer then the slide. The slide on the left is marked " Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do." Under that is "P38-K". The right side is marked with the serial number 500xxx. "Interarms, Alexandria Virginia" and Made in Germany.It has a box with an extra magazine but no paperwork that is marked P38K Cal 9mm Para. Serien-Nr 500xxx. It has that hex nut thing in the frame and what appear to be adjustable rear sight. The gun has a very few hanling marks and appears to be unfired.

I got it because it looked neat. Remindered me of the "Man from UNCLE". I traded a Seecamp 32 for it. A friend suggested I research the gun so thats how I ended up on your forum. There is alot of good info here but but now I wonder if I stumbled onto collectable. I've read that there are alot of fake P38k's aroud. Does my gun seem like the real thing? Thanks for any help you can give.
amvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Photos would help, but you are in the right serial number range: 500001 to 502600. They only made 2,600 of them from 1974 to 1981 (although they were available up to 1984). If it's stamped as a P38k on the slide and it's in that serial range, they you are likely safe ... and the gun is far more valuable than your Seecamp trade-in.

Keep in mind that a number of gunsmiths -- some competent, some not -- took the P38 (both war-time and post-war models), chopped down the barrels, reattached the sites, and offered them as "Man from U.N.C.L.E."-style guns. Most of these were ruined, and they are not true P38k firearms. Some folks, perhaps fans of the old TV show, can't get enough of the "U.N.C.L.E." version and have created something of a demand for them. Here's a link to a guy who will customize your P38 or P1 (or even a P4, I would guess):

http://www.lugerman.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #3

amvet Unproven
If this is a real P38k what might it be worth. I mean realistically. I saw some pretty far out asking prices on GunBroker. I also don't see a whole lot of "buy it now".
Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
As with everything else, it depends on all sorts of variables, the most of which is this: How much is someone willing to pay for it?

The issue with the P38k is that you don't see a lot of them around; they only made 2,600 of them, after all. During the past couple of years, I've seen them offered for anywhere between $1,200 (gun only; no goodies) to $2,100 (NIB and the whole package included). A great deal will depend on the gun's condition. A great deal more will depend on who wants it, and how badly ... and how much he's willing to shell out to get it.

Joe Salter (DownEast Antiques) had one for sale 6 months or so ago for $1,895 or thereabouts; it was NIB with all of the extras. Some folks thought that it was overpriced; others thought that it was a heck of a good deal. And yes, it sold -- and rather quickly at that.

The bottom line is that you did well. You can always pick up another Seecamp. But the P38k is not exactly growing on trees these days.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #5

amvet Unproven
Thanks searcher451. I guess I won't plan on early retirement yet. I will refrain from shooting it as I had planned. It probably belongs in the hands of a Walther collector and not just a handgun accumulator such as myself.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
I would think that you could find a willing buyer for it if you posted on this forum or on the P.38 Forum, which I see you've also found. The P.38k is a desirable variant. The collectors who are really into the P.38 (and there are a bunch of them) all want to have one -- and again, Walther didn't make all that many. Good luck.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Last edited by searcher451; 02-25-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #7

parabellum Unproven
How about a photo or two?
parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Supporting Member

photohause .22
If it appears unfired -

Dohttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=122867725
P38K P38-K Walther Original pistol :

Sehttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123163339
WALTHER P38K 9MM NO RESERVE : Semi-auto at GunBroker.commi-auto at GunBroker.comn't Shoot it~!

Please Help My Local Veterans - Buy a Memorial Brick.
http://www.veterans-memorial-bricks.org/index.html
photohause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #9

parabellum Unproven
Wink

Well, here's some eye candy anyway. My two P38-Ks:

parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #10

kilov .22
I WANT!!!
This is the first time i have ever seen a P38k and i'm very intrigued. Excellent photo. Impressive to say the least. Yours look like collection pieces but do you know how they shoot?
kilov is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Search tags for this page
carl walther waffenfabrik ulm do p38
interarms p38k
p-38k
p38
p38 barrel for sale

p38k

p38k for sale
walther p-38k
walther p38 k
walther p38-k

walther p38k

walther p38k for sale
Click on a term to search for related topics.