WaltherForums
 

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Sinnerboy61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 250
Sinnerboy61 .22
best self defense ammo for p38?

Sponsored Links
I'm used to shooting ball ammo out of the p38 for target practice, but would like to have some SD ammo for it. Recently I read that it's a "class 3" pistol and I should shoot nothing BUT ball ammo out of it...

What do you all suggest I should try? What do you carry in your p38?

Thanks
Zach
Sinnerboy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin, tx
Posts: 109
Shadow1198 .22
Um, I'm not sure what that person was talking about with the whole "class III" thing. The only thing I know that has anything to do with "class III" is title 2 NFA weapons such as machineguns, short barrel rifles/shotguns, or other unique and out of the ordinary guns/devices. I don't have any real experience with the P38, so I'm not sure whether they have any longevity issues in withstanding +P and +P+ JHP's. Hopefully someone here can give you a straight answer on that.
Shadow1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 48
sepolvora .22
"What do you carry in your p38?"

When I was younger and crazier than I am now I carried a Luger 1906, and I even carried a 1943 P-38 for just one day.
Now I am a lot older and wiser and would not do anything of that again, except if I had no other choice.
If that extreme unlikely thing would happen, I'd be in such a mess that I'd have something very much urgent to think about.

On a second thought, I'd figure any fine quality 9mm amm is a good choice, except maybe for +P+ ammo in older guns.
__________________
Shooting Walthers and old German stuff in the happiest country of the world (so they say)
sepolvora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Sinnerboy61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 250
Sinnerboy61 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow1198 View Post
Um, I'm not sure what that person was talking about with the whole "class III" thing. The only thing I know that has anything to do with "class III" is title 2 NFA weapons such as machineguns, short barrel rifles/shotguns, or other unique and out of the ordinary guns/devices.
From: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm


"First Class pistols are ultra-reliable and high-quality new guns than can feed any hollowpoint and tolerate +P loads with no problems: SIG/Sauer P220 series. Czech CZ75 and CZ85. Walther P5, P5C, and P88. Heckler and Koch USP and P7 series. All Glocks. All Ruger 9mm pistols. Taurus PT-99, PT-92 and PT-92C. Steyr GB. Beretta 92 series. Browning BDM and Hi-Power (if it says "Portugal" on the slide). All Smith & Wessons with a four-digit model number (e.g. 5906, 3913, 6904, 5903) and the Smith & Wesson 900 series. Star M28, M30, M31, and all Firestars, Megastars, and Ultrastars.

Second Class pistols are high quality guns that may not feed all hollowpoints reliably. Remington 115 gr. hollowpoints are recommended for these guns: Smith & Wessons with two or three digit model numbers (e.g. 659, 39-2, 469, 59, 39). Heckler and Koch VP70 and P9S. Beretta "Brigadier" M1951 and the Egyptian copy, the Interarms "Helwan." Colt M2000 "All-American" (now discontinued, for good reason), Colt Series 70 Government Model, Series 70 Commander. Astra A-70, A-75 and A-100. AMT "On Duty." Daewoo. Bersa 'Thunder 9'. EAA Witness, and all other CZ-75 copies (e.g. Tanfoglio, Tanarmi, Springfield Armory P9). Taurus PT-908. Walther P4. Star BK, BKM, Model B and 'Super.' Browning Hi-Powers without the word "Portugal" on the slide. Llama Model 82. IMI "Jericho" and "Kareen."

Third Class pistols should generally be loaded with ball for best reliability - experiment with your gun extensively before carrying JHP: Walther P38, P4 or P1. Luger. Llama. Maverick. MKS Model JS. Intratec CAT-9, DC-9, KG-9, etc. SWD Cobray Model 11/9 and similar models. Scarab Scorpion. Kimel AP-9. Bryco Jennings Model 59. All KBI Hungarian pistols (e.g. GKK, PJ9C, P9HK and other "FEG" products). "Norinco" or "Sportarms" Chinese Tokarev pistols. Lahti. Radom. MAB P15 and Model 1950."
Sinnerboy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Sinnerboy61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 250
Sinnerboy61 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepolvora View Post
"What do you carry in your p38?"

When I was younger and crazier than I am now I carried a Luger 1906, and I even carried a 1943 P-38 for just one day.
Now I am a lot older and wiser and would not do anything of that again, except if I had no other choice.
If that extreme unlikely thing would happen, I'd be in such a mess that I'd have something very much urgent to think about.

On a second thought, I'd figure any fine quality 9mm amm is a good choice, except maybe for +P+ ammo in older guns.
Perhaps I should've worded this better as it seems I've conveyed the message that I "carry" the P-38..Not quite what I meant - I know better, and I have a PPS anyway...The P38 stays mostly by the bedside. I was hoping to find a non-FMJ SD round that wouldn't have a feed issue with the P-38 given the description of the pistol as seen above. ^^^
Sinnerboy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
lechiffre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: phoenix,az
Posts: 390
lechiffre .22
don't worry about that list. the p4 is listed as second class and third class. just try a few different hollow point loads. see what works. the remington 115gr 100 round value pack hollow points work fine in my p38.
__________________
If God hadn't meant us to shoot he wouldn't have given us trigger fingers

Do the interns get Glocks ?
lechiffre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 48
sepolvora .22
Sinnerboy:
Of course you're right.
I stand corrected.
Thanks for the list (first, 2nd and 3rd class)
It's very different from Class I, II, III
__________________
Shooting Walthers and old German stuff in the happiest country of the world (so they say)
sepolvora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
banddr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Southern (Semi-Free) Illinois
Posts: 1,134
banddr2 Unproven
My preference is standard pressure Speer Gold Dot in either 115 or 124 grain.
banddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19
1096369fred Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by banddr2 View Post
My preference is standard pressure Speer Gold Dot in either 115 or 124 grain.

+2 on the Gold Dot..... Ranger is great stuff too, but I would aviod +p in the old war horses!

Fred
1096369fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 34
oni.dori .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnerboy61 View Post
From: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm


"First Class pistols are ultra-reliable and high-quality new guns than can feed any hollowpoint and tolerate +P loads with no problems: SIG/Sauer P220 series. Czech CZ75 and CZ85. Walther P5, P5C, and P88. Heckler and Koch USP and P7 series. All Glocks. All Ruger 9mm pistols. Taurus PT-99, PT-92 and PT-92C. Steyr GB. Beretta 92 series. Browning BDM and Hi-Power (if it says "Portugal" on the slide). All Smith & Wessons with a four-digit model number (e.g. 5906, 3913, 6904, 5903) and the Smith & Wesson 900 series. Star M28, M30, M31, and all Firestars, Megastars, and Ultrastars.

Second Class pistols are high quality guns that may not feed all hollowpoints reliably. Remington 115 gr. hollowpoints are recommended for these guns: Smith & Wessons with two or three digit model numbers (e.g. 659, 39-2, 469, 59, 39). Heckler and Koch VP70 and P9S. Beretta "Brigadier" M1951 and the Egyptian copy, the Interarms "Helwan." Colt M2000 "All-American" (now discontinued, for good reason), Colt Series 70 Government Model, Series 70 Commander. Astra A-70, A-75 and A-100. AMT "On Duty." Daewoo. Bersa 'Thunder 9'. EAA Witness, and all other CZ-75 copies (e.g. Tanfoglio, Tanarmi, Springfield Armory P9). Taurus PT-908. Walther P4. Star BK, BKM, Model B and 'Super.' Browning Hi-Powers without the word "Portugal" on the slide. Llama Model 82. IMI "Jericho" and "Kareen."

Third Class pistols should generally be loaded with ball for best reliability - experiment with your gun extensively before carrying JHP: Walther P38, P4 or P1. Luger. Llama. Maverick. MKS Model JS. Intratec CAT-9, DC-9, KG-9, etc. SWD Cobray Model 11/9 and similar models. Scarab Scorpion. Kimel AP-9. Bryco Jennings Model 59. All KBI Hungarian pistols (e.g. GKK, PJ9C, P9HK and other "FEG" products). "Norinco" or "Sportarms" Chinese Tokarev pistols. Lahti. Radom. MAB P15 and Model 1950."
The guy seems to have pretty good info (all though I dont 100% agree with all of it). However, at times he sounds kind of "mall ninja"-ish. Also, he keeps "invoking" Massad Ayoob, even though several of the things he says directly contradicts with what I have seen Mr. Ayoob write.

This is just my two cents though.
oni.dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics


Search tags for this page

ammo for p38

,

best ammo for p38

,

best ammo for walther p38

,
p 38 for self defense
,

p38 ammo

,
p38 defense amno
,
p38 for self defense
,
walther p 38 hollow points
,

walther p38 ammo

,

walther p38 ammunition

,

walther p38 for self defense

,

walther p38 self defense

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.