Matching (?) ac 44 with Good Finish but Odd Discoloration - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 AM   #1

SelfloadingSoldatac44 .22
Matching (?) ac 44 with Good Finish but Odd Discoloration

Hello all,
I am new here, and come seeking the advice of those more knowledgeable in the subject of P38s, haha.
Anyway, I found a fairly nice looking pistol that is possibly all matching ac44 (slide, barrel (?), and frame are numbered the same). The magazine is not numbered but says P38v. The numbers aren't stroked out but I'm still not sure it's not a Russian capture. There is some light rust in the grooves on the slide and the mag well and one or two other places. However, what has me really worried is a bit of odd discolorations that is bright-ish silver with some brown specks of rust (?) In them. If I can post pictures I will, but it goes from a large silver spot on the right side of the frame and wraps around into the trigger guard. It may very well just be some sort of oxidization or from use or age (or maybe blood! Who knows!) But I have the sinking feeling that it may have been some sort of repair job. I ran my finger over it and can't feel any part that is raised, so I hope I am very wrong. I guess I'm just asking a) what else should I check on this pistol? b) how can I better identify if it'd a Russian capture? And c) should I even buy it? It's $550 OTD. I will post pictures if I can, and I can provide what info I can. I didn't disassemble it and only took off the grips. There is some rust in places like I said but nothing that should be too difficult to deal with I think, however I'm not sure.

Sorry for the long winded post and thank you for any help you can provide!

-SSac44
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170319_161626.jpg (2.50 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20170319_161732.jpg (2.51 MB, 24 views)
SelfloadingSoldatac44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #2

yagyujubei .22
To me it looks like something acidic dripped on it that removed the blue. A picture of each side will tell if it is a R/C - My guess is no. Hard to beat the price - unless it's a mess.
yagyujubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #3

SelfloadingSoldatac44 .22
There is some light bluing wear on the barrel and sight, as well as a bit on the slide and the photos I showed, which makes me doubt its a Russian capture. There is also no import mark that I can see which makes me further doubtful of it being a Russian capture. And like I said no serial numbers are striked out. The finish doesn't resemble that of like a Mosin or something, if that is any help. I might not be able to get another picture of it, so I apologize in advance.

Thank you!
SelfloadingSoldatac44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyujubei View Post
...something acidic dripped on it ...
That's what it looks like.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

mike9905 .22
It would be nice to see pictures of the entire pistol. If the two spots you showed are that concern you, buy it.
mike9905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics