Walther Forums banner

New Member/Model 4 owner

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  tattooo 
#1 ·
I have been searching like crazy to come up with some information on a decent quality Model 4 (SN145150)that was given to me a short while ago. So far I have been able to derive a lot of good-to-great information from other posts from this forum and RJK77’s website EarlyWalthers.com. My Model 4 closely resembles the other from that website with the SN 143869. Its SN is stamped on the Left of the slide and it matches slide extension and barrel. Where "69" has the anchor I have a Very Deep Set AS showing that it is from the August Schuler contractor. I was wondering if there has been any other information about the rareness of this marking. Just like "69" has, my Model 4 has the Crown N on the handle, slide and barrel and a Crown D near the slide grooves. What do the "acceptance marks" truly mean? Is it that they were inspected and they passed inspection or was it that they were used by government personnel?

I know I am missing a few pieces, a recoil spring & spring bushing specifically, and since I have yet to take the handle apart due to some cracking at the screw, I am not sure if there is much wrong with the firing mechanism since as long as the slide is actuated by hand the firing hammer drops.

I do know you are going to ask for pictures, and I don't blame you. I want to get the right pictures taken before I post them since my phone macro setting is not working all I have now are extra blurry very non-descript photo's. I will post the photos and I would also like to see what your take is on this piece. It is still new to me and I am proud of it and the life it must have lived (not so much the last 50 years since it has been in a sock for that long)

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I would get what I already knew out there before I got a lot of "look here - look there" dupe information. (I also looked into the book Walther Model 1- P99 and I will be renting it from the library as soon as I find one)

Thank you in advance to any who are able to help tell me some more information about the history of this specific weapon.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Crown N is the Nitro Proof, the Crown D is I believe the Kaiser Proof. German Imperial Army Acceptance Stamp(I could be wrong on this one). Others will be along shortly to explain what you have with this treasure of a gun.

I own a Modell 4 1558##. It is a treasure

#3 · (Edited)
https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/...del-1-ppx.html

crown/N = German proof mark, Nitro proofed (post 09/1911)
crown/(gothic-) D = kaiserliche Abnahme (military acceptance mark, at least since 1914)

August Schüler (AS) = subcontractor of Immanuel Meffert (J.M. => licensee)

Btw: 'ü' in German = ue. Same is true for => ä = ae, ö = oe :)

#5 ·
Jordach,

Welcome to the Forum. There are some wonderful folks here who have great enthusiasm for "classic" Walther pistols.

You might want to check out Ed Buffaloe's article on the Walther Model 4: Walther Model 4

I am eager to see pictures of you new Walther pistol.
(If you are not careful you might end up owning more than one vintage Walther pistol).

Earl

#7 ·
First, thank you for all the good info.
Second, does the military acceptance mark mean it was issued to someone in the military, or just that the weapon was "authorized" to be issued?
Third and finally I have noticed through the research so far that most of the pistols that are built by subcontractors look more like the "Early Second Variant" even though the serial's place them in the "Late Second Variant." Is this captured in documentation anywhere?
And Earl, you are right, I need to be careful with this newly found passion.

#9 ·
The proof basically says that it is military property. So I would say that almost certainly, someone in the German military was issued it. I have a "Mercedes" model 4 - blank right side. When you finally take it apart, see if any internal numbered parts are there. There is a lot of tiny differences among the subcontractors. On mine, so far, the frame extension, and trigger bar are numbered. Meffert numbered their magazines.

#11 ·
Here She Is

Obvious Crack in Left Grip

Interesting Locations for the serials.

Blank Right Side (even though all the information I have seen on this Serial Range says the right side should be marked)

Imperial Army Marking, But the scuff mark below that, does that look like it used to be another mark of something?

Is this a crack on the firing pin housing?

Safety intact. (Also, when looking at Ed Buffaloe's website, these look more like "Early Second Variant Slide Serrations" rather than the Serial placed Late Second Variant. Anyone agree?

So with all the research I have done in this week, I think I have come to a theory. When the Sub-Sub-Contractors got going on building of these Model 4's they were giving an early Second Variant blueprint/patent to build off of. then they were informed that they needed the rear sight. Anyway, I hope you all are happy with the pictures I got. I know I am.

#20 ·
Not at all Martin, I was just Oblivious to the shorthand RHS for some reason. Thank you for that information. I missed reading that anywhere on that chart you made.
What were your thoughts on the side serrations more closely resembling the early model. Is that also something that has been noted?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.