Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MGMike
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #1

halfmoonclip .22
Hard Decock on a Walther P38

A local shop has a '44 Walther P38 that is generally in nice shape (excellent bore, some blue missing on one side of the barrel). It is priced less than $1k.
It seems fine mechanically save for decocking, which halts near the end of its stroke and requires a really firm push to finally drop the hammer.
I'm entertaining some thought of swapping a '43 Spreewerke which is in comparable condition (wear on high points).
Anyway, what may be causing the decock problem, and is there any merit on a swap in terms of value? I did have a look at the sticky, and prices were all over the place.
BTW, if I do nothing about it, I'll post where it is.
Thanks,
Moon

German cars, Austrian guns, Irish beer
Register
Old 12-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Go for it, Moon. Fixing the de-cocking problem will give you something to occupy your idle hours over the Holidays. You'll acquire a whole new perspective on the art of gunsmithing.

M
yagyujubei likes this.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #3

halfmoonclip .22
I'm not above a little amateur 'smithing, but a man has to know his limitations....does this sound like a common problem, with a straightforward fix, Mike?
And my other question; is it worth going from a reasonably nice Spreewerke to the Walther?
Moon

Old 12-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Yes, it is unfortunately a common problem.

Yes, it is a straightforward fix. How straightforward depends on: a) having lots of time, b) knowing what you're doing, and c) having a handful of spare parts to try to avoid hand-fitting.

Is it worth going to? I dunno. I never met a Spreewerk P.38 that I wanted to own.

M
Old 12-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

halfmoonclip .22
All things considered, I'll take a pass. The Spree' has always worked just fine and is in nice shape, and it scratches that particular itch....tho' I'd prefer the Walther without the complication of the decock. The only spare P38 part on hand is a complete, rusty, bare frame. Thanks for the comeback and the info, Mike.
For anyone interested (can I say this, here, Searcher?) the pistol is at Sporting Goods Discounters, Scalp Ave, Johnstown 15904.
Moon

Old 12-30-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
All things considered, I'll take a pass...

...For anyone interested...Sporting Goods Discounters, Scalp Ave, Johnstown 15904.
Moon
Thanks for letting the forum know you're going to pass, 1/2Moon, and to Mike for the insight. Since this discussion seems to have worked out, and for sake of the fact that this discussion has been had elsewhere here in the past, I think we'll bring it to a close. If any other forum member does decide to take interest, by all means let me know and we'll re-open it.

Great work guys!

-Pilotsteve
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics