Sticky: Cracked P-1 slide - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Like Tree24Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #11

Deputy .38
Well fooey. I don't know of ANY commercially-loaded ammo that is that slow.

Even the crummy WWB in 124 grain is 1140FPS. Have to go to 147 grain to get that low a level of performance. And I don't know if that is a good idea either.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Federal American Eagle FMJ is about as mild factory ammo as one can buy today. It is also more uniform in dimension and with less extreme spread than any other I have tried. I have chronographed the 124-grain from a P99 at an average MV of 1091 fps, which is only slightly higher than some published figures for WWII German 124 gr. (which I have not verified).

Late in the war the Germans used a much lighter sintered-iron bullet of less than 100 grains, driven at around 400mps. It exited the muzzle much faster and its effect on the gun is unknown to me. In addition we have no idea today about the pressure curve or other characteristics of the propellant powders used then.

As for WWB, its OAL has varied and the long bullet shape is not the best for smooth lifting through single-column magazines like the P38's or P5's.

M
searcher451, Deputy and WA9BYR like this.

Last edited by MGMike; 08-12-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: gun-ignorant auto-correct screws up my spelling
Old 08-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
Here's how my P.38 is holding up... how it looks tonight. Remember, it was in like-new condition when I bought it in the spring of 2011; I've since put many thousand cartridges through the pistol. I don't have an accurate count but figure about two boxes of ammunition, on average per month, since then (it's probably a bit more), and we come up with approximately 4,200 cycles. This sounds about right.

About halfway between my slide lock and takedown levers would be where the pin was positioned in the later models. Mine is still pristine:

There is some buffing of the anodized finish and "wearing in" of the parts but certainly nothing to be concerned about:

I'd sure like to see a picture of the pistol SgtPppr discussed in the first post. My "thin" slide is a serious hunka-chunka piece of machined steel and ain't breaking anytime soon. You could drive a truck over this thing and I'll bet it'd survive unscathed:

SgtPppr, could you show us some pictures of what you're troubled with? It's easy:

How to easily post your pictures on the Forum.

-Pilotsteve
Moderator Note: Photos were posted at the of end of thread with Pilotsteve's assistance - later copied to Post#1.

Last edited by Milspec; 09-04-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Note on photos
Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #14

Deputy .38
If broken slides are your thing, the P38 and PPK Forum has lots of pics. Here's one link:

P 38 & PP-PPK Collector Forum

And another:

P 38 & PP-PPK Collector Forum

These are WW2 guns that had the slides break. From one of the mods on that forum:
"So what are the alternatives? There are much less expensive and risky post war P.38's and P1's that fall into more of a "shooter class" of pistols. Around 1970 Walther decided to keep the P.38 and P1 in production but to upgrade it. They added a steel 3/8" hex pin to the newly produced alloy frame for strengthening it from thence forward. They also made the slide walls thicker and extended the finger serrations from then on as well. As time progressed through the seventies, other smaller improvements were also initiated."
Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
Please Read

This is excellent information. I've made some mod edits to clean the thread up a bit so we can convert it to a Sticky.
Please feel free to continue to post relevant information for the benefit of the WaltherForums community and guests. No personal discussions please.
Everybody looks for different information and has their specific concerns. We create Stickys to cover as many of the aspects of the thread topic as possible. Join the thread...add your contributions in the form of information, questions, discussions, debate, etc. When your concerns have been answered and you have nothing further to contribute quietly move on to something else. If you wish to make a personal statement that you're leaving a thread send it to a moderator or your friends by PM. It's not relevant to the topic and may be redacted from your post.
Please contacct a moderator by PM if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you.

Last edited by Milspec; 08-28-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Address personal agenda comments
Old 08-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #16

SgtPppr .22
Pilot Steve...I will try to take some pics this weekend...the problem is I don't
have a good camera and my phone has no flash. I'll try to take some daytime
pics. I have since bought a slide fron CDNN...the issue on another forum (P 38 & PP-PPK Collector Forum) is whether I should headspace since I am getting a new slide. Some say no...some say yes.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #17

SgtPppr .22
Tried to take some pics but I just can't get a good close up with my cell phone. Guess it's time to either get a good camera or a (gulp) smart phone with a decent camera! I did
make a new Photobucket account...it was pretty easy. In the meantime my new slide from CDNN came so I need to get it up and running.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #18

Deputy .38
SgtPppr: Perhaps a PM to MGMike about the headspace thing? I have to grudgingly acknowledge he knows his stuff about the P38.

Dep
Old 08-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #19

SgtPppr .22
Dep,

We've had quite a discussion about headspacing 9mm over on the P-38 forum. Alot of people don't think its necessary for simple factory specification parts replacement. Here is an excellent article by Master Gunsmith Reid Coffield explaining....

Gunsmithing the Walther P.38 & P1 part 1: after some woodworking-intensive rifle projects, Coffield eases back for something with fewer wood shavings: working on the classic Gorman double-action autoloader. - Free Online Library

To quote him...

"The major problem with excessive headspace in the 9mm is that it might lead to the cartridge case seating too deeply into the chamber. This can lead to failure to fire or erratic cartridge ignition. This can also have a detrimental effect on accuracy as you might not be positioning the cartridges in the chamber shot after shot. It's not something you deal with day after day but it's worth considering."

A far cry from some people who were saying the gun would blow up in my hand if not headspaced.
Deputy likes this.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #20
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPppr View Post
...Here is an excellent article by Master Gunsmith Reid Coffield explaining....

"The major problem with excessive headspace in the 9mm is that it might lead to the cartridge case seating too deeply into the chamber. This can lead to failure to fire or erratic cartridge ignition. This can also have a detrimental effect on accuracy ...

A far cry from some people who were saying the gun would blow up in my hand if not headspaced.
"Master Gunsmith" ? What institution bestowed him with that title?

Makes him sound like a "Board Certified" physician...

I am not suggesting that excessive headspace leads inexorably or even often to "blowups", but I don't believe he knows what he's talking about.

M
WA9BYR likes this.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Search tags for this page
kahr fail to battery
manurhin p1 9mm

mauser p38 slide crack

p38 slide crack
sticky p1 slide
walther p1 fat slide
walther p1 fat slide thin slide width measurement
walther p1 round count
walther p1 service life

walther p1 slide crack

walther p1 slide cracking
walther p38 battery failure
Click on a term to search for related topics.