A warning to those who want to shoot WWII-vintage P.38s - Page 9 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 12:29 AM   #81
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
The whole point of the Hellenistic reference, to the new guys here, is simple. If you've got Helen of Troy - AKA the hottest chick ever - you'd better bed her because if you don't, eventually, someone else will. And you'll be a sad, sad sap.

Example: You acquire a never-fired Luger P.08 with gold trim; beautiful and worth $15,000 before the bidding starts. But no! Never are you going to fire it... it's value will only get better with time and it will rest in your safe... safely. After all, you might drop it, ding the bluing or nick the grips! No way... it stays in the safe until..

You lose it. Be it by sale for want of extended nursing care or liquidation of the estate, you lose it. You grow old, holding your treasures near until it's too late to enjoy them for what they are, and what they could have been to your memory. They'll be gone, unfired, because you kept them safe. The worst part? You might just wonder what the guy who bought them plans on doing... if it were me, the old man, regretting, would hear the echos of their reports in the distance, well enjoyed.

Synopsis: taste the wealth in life if given the chance, if opportune. We only have once chance at this thing called life; I believe it's prudent to make the best of the one shot we've got at it.

-Pilotsteve
ronin11 likes this.

Last edited by Pilotsteve; 01-02-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-02-2017, 01:46 AM   #82

andyd .22
ECCLESIASTES 6:2 is all the advice I need.

I shoot all my guns.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #83
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyujubei View Post
... I probably wouldn't shoot a fancy engraved and gold plated pistol, because they were never intended to be shot. ....
This, I think, accurately states the exception, and the criterion that determines it. Guns that are purely works of art appeal to an entirely different sensory satisfaction.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #84

yagyujubei .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat94 View Post
My Spreewerk only gets shot when I bring along the P.08. The Luger is non-matching but I've never hesitated to shoot the P.38. I've never had any trouble with either of them.
How does that luger shoot? Similar to the p38? My Luger is .30, and I love shooting it - slightly less recoil than the 9mm.

Last edited by Milspec; 01-02-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote
yagyujubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #85

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyujubei View Post
How does that luger shoot? Similar to the p38?
As long as I stick to 124gr FMJ the P.08 shoots great. Occasionally it might have a failure to eject which I suspect is do to limp wristing or just being a little dry. I have found it to be very accurate with its pointy front sight. It looks a little like this "^" with a "v" notch rear. It's a bit similar to the trapezoidal front sight on a Steyr M9-A1. I've also noticed a softer recoil than my WWII P.38.

I prefer the magazine release on the P.38 and it's easier for me to rack a slide than a toggle. There's also a better selection of spare parts and magazines for the P.38. I really enjoy having both side by side to compare their differences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161021_021855-1.jpg (2.90 MB, 0 views)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #86

andyd .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat94 View Post
As long as I stick to 124gr FMJ the P.08 shoots great. Occasionally it might have a failure to eject which I suspect is do to limp wristing or just being a little dry. I have found it to be very accurate with its pointy front sight. It looks a little like this "^" with a "v" notch rear. It's a bit similar to the trapezoidal front sight on a Steyr M9-A1. I've also noticed a softer recoil than my WWII P.38.

I prefer the magazine release on the P.38 and it's easier for me to rack a slide than a toggle. There's also a better selection of spare parts and magazines for the P.38. I really enjoy having both side by side to compare their differences.
Both, the P.08 and the P.38 have a tremendous accuracy potential for a good shooter. I frequently shoot a VOPO P.08 that has matching numbers with the exception of a new barrel that an East German armourer put in, probably at the Haenel factory. This gun is every bit as accurate as my best SIG P210.

I love this 1942 VOPO gun and treat it gently with mild reloads. With 125 gr LTC I can still shoot 90%+ at 25 meters, despite the problems that old age brings to the eyesight.

If I cannot afford shooting my Korth revolvers, I can sell them and invest the money wisely with a better financial return but without the same satisfaction that fine firearms give me.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #87

FergusandCo .22
I bet Priam and Hector (and the other 5000 Trojans I suppose) wish Paris had left it holstered.

Not only does it end badly in the book, but in every movie version I've ever seen, as well.

Still, a great reference.

Like MGMike said, "The face that launched a thousand ships..."

I guess it's worth asking, though, what was the basic specs for German WWII 9mm ball out of a P-38? I know they had different bullets (FMJ and sintered iron and others). Is there agreement on common specs? Not that I'm suggesting it's a good choice nowadays, mind you.

Regards,

"Remain yourself, in spite of all the mighty do."
Goethe
FergusandCo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Search tags for this page

p38 fighter guns-ammo load

walther p38 warnings

what modern ammo is ok to shoot in a waltherp38

Click on a term to search for related topics.