WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #1

jtice01 .22
Identifying Walther P38 markings...

Sponsored Links
So, I picked up this Walther today at the local gun emporium. I tried to find out as much about the pistol as I can. Based off some ordinary resources:
Welcome to the P38 Web Site....
the technical data sheet, production numbers, etc, I seem to have narrowed down that my pistol was a 1941 production Walther gun.

There are two markings that dont seem to fit, though.
One, the crown with an N nitro proofing on the bottom of the barrel. The only resource I've been able to find says that this is a pre-war Walther proof.

Two, the cursive letter following the 4 digit serial on the frame only, not the slide. It could be a lowercase a or o. My source of confusion is that the production dates listed for 1941 Walther dont show any "o" listings at all. The listings for "a" codes seem to be stamped on both the frame and the slides, and in normal lettering, not cursive.

Do I have a fake? Sorry for the poor pictures. I'm just looking for clarification.
jtice01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #2

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
The crown over N is a civilian proof, military proof was the eagle and swastika and WaA.

On the P38 forum you should find people that can tell you more.
Andyd_is_PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
It appears to be an ac41 with a pre-1940 barrel...possibly from a Walther HP. You'll see this sometimes with Austrian post-war reworks but it may be lots of things.
Could you post photos of the entire gun please? Then we can tell you exactly what you have...
Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #4

jtice01 .22
I think, unfortunately, I got taken.

Here's why:

First, the gun is all matching numbers. BUT, the proofmark on the slide and the proofmark on the frame are not the same. The waffenampt for the slide is Walther. The waffenampt for the frame is Mauser.
Second, the trigger reinforcement bump is typical for a late war gun. But the stamping is for an early war AC41.
Third, the barrel marking is typical for pre-war...or post war reworks. It is definetly new. There is no circle B marking like you'd find for a genuine AC41.
Finally, the grips are East German. You can tell because of the tiny line at the very top of the grip panel on the left side.

Post-war VOPO rework of an AC41.

Last edited by jtice01; 06-26-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Vopo guns were generally marked with a star and often the 1001- designationb. To my best knowledge, the GDR never produced bakelite grips for their reworks.

Whether you got "taken" depends on the amount that you paid.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

jtice01 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd_is_PzGren View Post
Vopo guns were generally marked with a star and often the 1001- designationb. To my best knowledge, the GDR never produced bakelite grips for their reworks.

Whether you got "taken" depends on the amount that you paid.
Thoughts as to what it could be?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #7

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice01 View Post
Thoughts as to what it could be?
I would say that it is a "mutt", put together out of different parts. The GDR would have restamped the parts and also refinished it with a matte finish.

In the barracks, or in the field, the guns were often cleaned by a group of soldiers, one doing the barrels, one the slides, and so on. We still did the same with the HK G3. Who cared about matching numbers???

If it shoots well, you have a shooter and I think that the steel frame is much more desireable than the aluminium frames.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #8

mr.mosin .22
What do I have?

Hi, I feel in love with this Walther. I am new to Walthers, but not guns. I love vintage firearms.

here is my questions. I was told this is a P1, sold to be as a P1. The slide says Walther banner Waffenfabrik ULM/DO. p 38 cal 9mm. I know, its not war time, because of the Walther banner, and P 38 and not P (DOT) 38. I took this thing all down, and its covered in marks and images.

Its solid steal, because my cousin works in a metal shop, and had a device to test metal thickness, and he said, its VERY HIGH QUALITY STEEL.

date is 1/62. ALL MATCHING PARTS... no importer. I have no recoil cross bolt, above the trigger guard. How can I tell if its police/army surplus? Or Civil. Just sight unseen, I know pics would help... any ideas? I am certain its civil, no Nato S/N on the gun, but my mags have NATO Nos. THANKS!!

Here is where I keep pictures, of some of my guns :-) http://ithypno.deviantart.com/gallery/37738315

Last edited by mr.mosin; 06-29-2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: added link
mr.mosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Perhaps this will help:

More P.38 info

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #10

OneGunOwner .22
Lack of markings

I have a P38 that seems to have a lack of markings of any kind. Nothing like the pictures in this forum. Not even "Walther" stamped on it. It has been in the family since purchasing used in 1962 for $20, so it's not new. The only markings I can find are the "Eagle over 359" above the trigger and 15000 on the frame below the barrel. A gun shop owner that did some work on it says it's a 1939 model but according to your posts, I have no idea how he came up with that information. The grips appear old but do not have the diamond design.

Can anybody shed any light?
OneGunOwner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Search tags for this page
german p38 markings
german p38 pistol markings
p38 forum
p38 markings

p38 pistol markings

p38 walther markings
walther p1 markings
walther p38
walther p38 forum
walther p38 identification

walther p38 markings

walther p38 proof marks
Click on a term to search for related topics.