WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #1

csbears .22
P38 wartime grips

Sponsored Links
Hello All:

I am new here and I hope to learn alot about the P38's I own.

One in particular I just received from Southern Ohio Guns and I have a question regarding the grips. Does anybody know whether or not the Germans quit placing the proofs, i.e. Waa 135,359 etc and part number inside the grips later in the war? The pistol I received, an AC41 frame and slide with an AC43 3rd lathe marked barrel has black grips and no proof marks. What to make of this?

I realize these are Russian capture and not highly esteemed collectors, but they operate and shoot nice and I at least expect it to be all original parts.
Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
csbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
I'd wager that you could find your answer in here:

New P.38 book for sale

Post up a photo or two of the grips, or provide us with a description of both sides of both grips, and we might be able to fish around and find an answer or two for you. But it's also safe to say that the RC P.38s were often reworked extensively by the Russians, so finding a perfectly matching pistol would be miraculous, indeed.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #3

csbears .22
Gun Parts : Pistol - Walther P38 Wartime Grips - Auction: 8314353 (Ended 11/03/2007, 08:23:03 PST)

They look just like this set without the markings inside which are acceptance stamp and part number.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

Ron from Minnesota .22
Hello,

Although I am the co-author of the above mentioned book (and I appreciate the plug I can certainly try and help you with your grip question. Walther was the only one of the manufacturers of P.38s that produced their own grips during WW2 and they did stop placing the E/359 acceptance stamp on the grips in 1941. They also used another sub-contractor (AEG) to produce grips for them as well. The Spreewerk pistols used a firm called Julius Posselt, and Mauser used AEG grips for the majority of the war. Both late war Mauser and Walther P.38 pistols can be found with softer shinier black grips from an unknown maker. And finally Walther late war P.38s can also be found with "Durofol" grips. So probably more information than you need to know but the study of grips is very complicated and really detailed photos of the interior and exterior would be the only way I can give you a definitive answer. Here is a link back over to the P.38 site concerning grips:

http://www.p38forum.com/technical/Po...in_Germany.pdf

Regards,
Ron
Ron from Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #5

Ron from Minnesota .22
Another thought about your grips is they could actually be Russian made because they did produce some grips for the captured pistols. They are generally black and courser and heavier made with raised ridges rather than the smooth grooves. Please post photos if you can or e-mail them to me at 1clarin@integra.net

Ron
Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #6

csbears .22
Gentlemen, thank you for all the info. Nobody has bored me and I think I figured out these are Polyamid 6 grips. One side has a rather large sprue that actually keeps the magazine from inserting easily. I will post pix when my wife gets home and I find all the camera parts,cables etc.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
That's a nice job, Ron; happy to have you here and solving the grip issues for all of us.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #8

Ron from Minnesota .22
csbears,

Bingo! Sounds like you nailed it. If they seem like a lighter softer material with the sprue they are Polyamid 6.

Bill,
Anytime my friend. Just holler at me.

Regards,
Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Search tags for this page
durofol grips
original p38 grips
p 38 grips for sale
p38 grip markings

p38 grips

p38 russian capture

russian capture p38

russian capture p38 markings
russian capture walther p38
walther p38 grip markings

walther p38 grips

walther p38 grips for sale

Click on a term to search for related topics.