LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #11
Supporting Member

PPS1980 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrstrat View Post
The crappy ammo for this gun (for us) was the WalMart Winchester ammo:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wincheste...100ct/33117044

I know the perfecta ammo from Wallyworld is CHEAP (under $14 for 50 rounds) and is 115 grain - didnt know it was high velocity. For whatever reason, this ammo works great but the Blazer brand seems to be the best...

Thanks for the help on this!
The problem is that those are FMJ rounds which are not what most would call self-defense ammo. Until a 9mm pistol can fire XTPs or HSTs reliably it is not ready for prime-time in my book.
...extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! ...moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!
Barry Goldwater
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #12

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
We are holding out hope for the CCP but need tangible data on how to get the most out of it (ammo brand and bullet weight to use as per Walther) without wading through 500 anecdotal posts.
You will not receive a definitive response from Walther re "recommended" ammo. That question has been previously resolved. They can provide a list of test ammo used in their various pistols....I am including a copy of that list. However, I will also immediately advise that virtually every one of the listed test brands and weight have failed at some point in the CCP.....again something reported by owners herein.

The assurances you seek do not exist....that is the bottom line (sorry to say). At this moment and based upon the feelings you're expressing I strongly suggest you look for an alternative CC weapon for your wife.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test ammo.pdf (481.3 KB, 19 views)
PPS1980 likes this.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #13

Vandal320 .22
PPS M1 or M2 are both valid options IMO...
PPS1980 likes this.
WALTHER PPS M1 9MM
WALTHER PPX 9MM

SIG P250C .45 ACP

SIG P250SC .40S&W XKIT
SIG SP2022 9MM

NRA Member
Vandal320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2017, 11:13 PM   #14

7tcu .22
Listen to Vandal 320, and get rid of the CCP and get a PPS
7tcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #15
Supporting Member

pj_49 .22
Quote:
...Even in qualifications she had a FFT and a stovepipe (using the WalMart Winchester 9mm white box stuff)...
115 gr WWB is on the Walther list of test ammo. The pistol has a warranty - have Walther try to fix it or trade for something else. Many choices out there. My CCP has always worked at the range. I tend to use 124 gr or 147 gr ammo.
pj_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #16

mrrstrat .22
The particular gun we have is a 2016 59,XXX serial number series - two tone.

Is there any rhyme or reason to serial numbers: is later better than earlier or are they all plauged?
mrrstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #17

MikelP .22
The thing is, there is no consistency between CCP's and what ammo they will run without problems. Mine won't run Federal, either practice or defense rounds. Other's guns will run Federal fine and not something else. I spent enough to max out a credit card trying to identify what will run in my CCP. In the end, it does well on Blazer Brass 124 grain practice ammo and both Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P and Hornady 135 grain Critical Duty +P.
That having been said, mine has other issues and I'm not alone with them. Mag drops when halfway through the load, premature slide lock with some still in the mag, failure of slide to lock back after the last round.... I haven't had the slide launch downrange yet but some have had that happen.

With all that, I've decided that the CCP is basically a single-shot weapon. In a defense situation if any number beyond one fires it's simply good luck.

There's a lot to like about the CCP but reliability isn't part of that. Sadly, I've put my CCP into the category of "Toy". I take it out to shoot, sometimes for fun and sometimes to see if I've finally got the bugs worked out but I don't carry it for defense. My Springfield XDm and my wife's little Ruger LC9 go "Bang" every time the trigger is pulled with a round the chamber. I can't say that abut the CCP. (I'm at 800 rounds through my CCP, so it's been given a fair chance) Using Teflon based dry lube for cleaning seems to help, but that help is not enough to change the big picture.
MikelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #18

MikelP .22
Quote:
The particular gun we have is a 2016 59,XXX serial number series - two tone.

Is there any rhyme or reason to serial numbers: is later better than earlier or are they all plauged?
The higher the serial # the better. The early ones, below 18,000 report the most problems. Mine is 34xxx and still has enough reliability problems to make me not carry it.
MikelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #19

CoachRick .22
Another range trip last night...CCP ran perfectly on Geco 124 but balked at Freedom 115(which was fine in the LC9s and LC9sPro). I got two failures to eject with the Freedom in the CCP; but I don't think I can blame the pistol. I don't carry the CCP yet; but might with this bout of cold weather and the extra layers of clothing.

I would carry the CCP without worry as long as I had the appropriate ammo on hand.
CoachRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #20

mrrstrat .22
As I said - holding out hope for it :-)

There has got to be something with ammo that gives the best chance at total reliability.

Could that be higher pressure rounds, heavier weight loads, light weight loads.

If I thought it would work 99% with 147 grain loads, then thats what we put in it.
mrrstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > CCP

Search tags for this page

is perfecta ammo being discontinued

s&w 442 self defense ammo 2017 forums

walther ccp review

Click on a term to search for related topics.